Hackerspace Road Sign Design Contest - Ends Monday 5pm, Voting Tuesday

Christopher Hoffman

Jan 5, 2018, 7:48:39 AM1/5/18
to Gainesville Hackerspace
Hey Hackers! We need a sign out by the road at our new location, so we looking for suggestions for designs. Please reply on this thread with your suggestions by Monday at 5pm, so that Joe D. can print them and bring them in for us to vote on Tuesday's Open House.

Contest Rules:
Anyone can enter
No hard limit on number of entries per person, be reasonable, don't force Joe to print a bunch of variations of the same design.
Accepting designs until Monday at 5pm
Winner gets to see their sign displayed prominently on the sign pole for all of Gainesville to see! (And the eternal gratitude of all of us!)

Design Criteria:
Size of Final Sign: 22" h x 70" w, so work within that aspect ratio
"Gainesville Hackerspace" must be present
Sign will be backlit with white light.

Design Hints:
Remember, these signs need to be easy to read for people driving past at 40-50mph. Simple is probably better; people can google us, or read the more detailed signs that will be on the door for more information. While "Gainesville Hackerspace" needs to be present, they don't have to be the same size, so you are allowed to put more emphasis on "Hackerspace".

Let the contest begin! Show me what you got!

Christopher Hoffman
Secretary, Gainesville Hackerspace

Joseph DiPietro

Jan 5, 2018, 8:52:16 AM1/5/18
to Gainesville Hackerspace
Correction:  The sign will not be backlit.  The back lighting ends at the center of our sign-space so it will do us little good.
If we want lighting we should plan on adding our own, I have a few concepts but no detailed plans.

Daniel Crisman

Jan 5, 2018, 12:36:37 PM1/5/18
to gainesville...@googlegroups.com
Would this be below the current The Tease Salon sign?

Joseph DiPietro

Jan 5, 2018, 1:23:05 PM1/5/18
to gainesville...@googlegroups.com

Yes. It is the (approximately) 2'x6' space below the Tease sign.

On Fri, Jan 5, 2018, 12:36 PM Daniel Crisman <daniel....@gmail.com> wrote:
Would this be below the current The Tease Salon sign?

Joseph DiPietro

Jan 6, 2018, 11:26:15 AM1/6/18
to Gainesville Hackerspace

Joseph DiPietro

Jan 6, 2018, 12:43:08 PM1/6/18
to Gainesville Hackerspace

Joseph DiPietro

Jan 6, 2018, 12:58:49 PM1/6/18
to Gainesville Hackerspace

Joseph DiPietro

Jan 6, 2018, 1:14:31 PM1/6/18
to Gainesville Hackerspace

Randy Fischer

Jan 6, 2018, 4:04:30 PM1/6/18
to gainesville...@googlegroups.com
One super minimalist, and three variations on a design, attached.  I really like Joe's colorful version, though even I can't read it and I know what it says.

hackerspace.001.png
hackerspace.002.png
hackerspace.003.png
hackerspace.004.png

Liza Kholodkova

Jan 6, 2018, 5:20:50 PM1/6/18
to gainesville...@googlegroups.com
I like 1, 2 and 4.

On Sat, Jan 6, 2018 at 4:04 PM Randy Fischer <randy....@gmail.com> wrote:
One super minimalist, and three variations on a design, attached.  I really like Joe's colorful version, though even I can't read it and I know what it says.

Sincerely,

Liza Kholodkova

Founder of Botsy BeDrawn
Aerospace and Mechanical Engineer

Brian Bartholomew

Jan 6, 2018, 6:02:52 PM1/6/18
to gainesville...@googlegroups.com
There's also the South building wall, which could get a mural outlined
by Botsy.

Makercise logo:

https://www.makercise.com/

MommaWrench:

http://thesilicongraybeard.blogspot.com/2018/01/nature-show-scene-youve-never-seen.html

Brian

Joseph DiPietro

Jan 7, 2018, 10:29:43 AM1/7/18
to Gainesville Hackerspace
To all you aspiring Hackerspace sign designers. In my humble opinion I believe that the street-side sign should be designed less for art but rather for instant readability. It is in that spirit I offer you this: https://mutcd.fhwa.dot.gov/shse/design.pdf

Joseph DiPietro

Jan 7, 2018, 11:34:24 AM1/7/18
to Gainesville Hackerspace

Liza Kholodkova

Jan 7, 2018, 11:56:59 AM1/7/18
to gainesville...@googlegroups.com
I vote on 2nd pic. The other ines are good but it seems like they distract from the sign.

Frank

Jan 7, 2018, 1:27:13 PM1/7/18
to gainesville...@googlegroups.com
I'm kinda leaning towards 1,2 or 6.

Frank

Sent from my iPad

Eddie Reid

Jan 8, 2018, 9:11:25 AM1/8/18
to gainesville...@googlegroups.com

I am with Frank I like 1, 2, or 6

Eddie

Joseph DiPietro

Jan 8, 2018, 9:25:57 AM1/8/18
to Gainesville Hackerspace

Joseph DiPietro

Jan 8, 2018, 9:26:10 AM1/8/18
to Gainesville Hackerspace

Joseph DiPietro

Jan 8, 2018, 9:26:28 AM1/8/18
to Gainesville Hackerspace

Rick Fabiani

Jan 8, 2018, 2:12:22 PM1/8/18
to Gainesville Hackerspace
Does anyone have any of the original artwork from the websites? Preferably in vector format.

-Rick

Brian Bartholomew

Jan 8, 2018, 2:37:16 PM1/8/18
to gainesville...@googlegroups.com
I like that you're posting the pictures so small in the emails.
If the details are too small to quickly comprehend in the emails,
they're too small for a first-time sign passer in a car to read, either.

Brian

Joseph DiPietro

Jan 8, 2018, 2:49:27 PM1/8/18
to gainesville...@googlegroups.com

Rick, do you mean the artwork for the sample signs I've been posting? Then yes, I have the vector files.

Randy Fischer

Jan 8, 2018, 3:29:40 PM1/8/18
to gainesville...@googlegroups.com
Good point, here's one of mine without the throwaway white border, text is sightly pumped up and without the scaling artifacts in Joe's rendition.

Compare to the text of 'The Tease', which isn't very readable at this scale either, though fine at drive-by.

The others are similar; it still needs some tweaks (increase vertical scale of letters, pull letters in from edges a bit, back off the icon to left).

But that's the general idea, applicable to the gear or atomic versions.

Rick Fabiani

Jan 8, 2018, 4:41:55 PM1/8/18
to Gainesville Hackerspace

OK, here is one of my entries. I have a few other versions, but I haven't scaled them down or dummied  them up on the sign image. This one has mixed fonts, which I am generally opposed to, but seems to be the way that our other logo is (Gainesville in Arial, Hackerspace in Impact). I have versions that have the fonts the same, I'm just running out of time. I made this logo.

Rick Fabiani

Jan 8, 2018, 4:52:51 PM1/8/18
to Gainesville Hackerspace

Here are the other two, but they are scaled for the actual sign, sorry.

Rick Fabiani

Jan 8, 2018, 4:55:25 PM1/8/18
to Gainesville Hackerspace
And as a side, if we don't pick this logo, I'm taking it back to use for something else.

Joseph Floyd

Jan 8, 2018, 4:57:21 PM1/8/18
to gainesville...@googlegroups.com
I think the Gainesville needs to standout more.   Generally, I like it a lot though.

Is that 20, 24, 26, 75, and 441?

Have a great day and keep pedaling,

Joseph

https://www.linkedin.com/in/josephfloyd

cell: 912-717-1044

-------         o

------ _ `\ <, _

----- ( • ) / ( • )

 --------------------

"Those who wish to control their own lives

and move beyond existence as mere

clients and consumers - those people

ride a bike."  ~ Wolfgang Sachs

Rick Fabiani

Jan 8, 2018, 5:07:00 PM1/8/18
to Gainesville Hackerspace
Yeah, I tried to match the circuit threads to where the roads into Gainesville are and loosely/figuratively put the end points at important tech places (Alachua, UF/downtownish, Hackerspace, GTECH). I can adjust all of it a bit, including the text. It was a really quick draft on an idea that popped in my head.

-Rick
To post to this group, send email to gainesville...@googlegroups.com.

Randy Fischer

Jan 8, 2018, 7:40:43 PM1/8/18