Hackerspace Weekly Digest: Nov 19th - Cade Museum Discussion and Call for Demos!

Christopher Hoffman

Nov 19, 2017, 8:08:09 PM11/19/17
to Gainesville Hackerspace
Hey Hackers!

Its Thanksgiving Week! Be sure to spend a few moments this week being thankful that certain patents on 3D printers expired, leading us to the current hobbyist 3D printer revolution, and thankful that Google Docs has 30GB of free storage for @gainesvillehackerspace.org members so that we don't have to worry about running out of room on our personal project lists after sharing ideas during open house. Did I do that right? Anyways, time for the digest!

Call for Demos!
This week is demo night! Let me know if you would like to present a topic or show off a project! Email secr...@gainesvillehackerspace.org

Downtown Location Update:
Last Tuesday we had a meeting to discuss our options for a new location. We showed some possible layouts for the 2400sqft location on 6th street, and a preliminary look at the old Lowes on Waldo. Since then, the board has received more details on the old Lowes location. They are offering their 7000 sqft location for $1800 a month for the first 8 months, then $2600/month for the following 8 months, then finally $3000 a month. Unless we can get some sponsors or donations, unfortunately that may put that location out of our budget.

Last week the Board and a few members also met with representatives from the Cade Museum, to see if we can form a relationship between our organizations. The Cade mentioned the possibility of the Gainesville Hackerspace using a section of their old building on Main street as a new location, about 1000 sqft for at least 6 months, with the possibility of some shared meeting space in addition to that. There is a lot of details to work out before we can consider this a valid option, and the Board will be meeting with The Cade again on Tuesday to get any offerings in writing so that we can present them to our membership. So be on the look-out for those details this week.

Finally, members, if you would like to join in on the conversation about the new locations, or want to be the first to know, join our Slack channel! We have 25 members on there, and lots of great conversations are arising from it. Its also where you will be likely to hear new details first, before I have a chance to condense them into these digests. Email me (secr...@gainesvillehackerspace.org) if you would like an invite to the slack!

Calendar:
  • Tuesday (11/21/2017)
    • 7pm: Demo Night and Open House. Open to the public, all are welcome! Doors open at 7pm, demos and presentations start at 7:30pm. If you want to give a demo, send me an email and I'll add you to the list.
      • Voting Members: We have three applications to vote on as well, see the email for the usual details.
Misc:
  • The "Intro to CamBam" workshop was a success! Thank you Kamin M. for teaching the class, we even saw some custom keychains cut out from it! Awesome!
  • We have a new Slack Chatroom! Slack is awesome, think of it as a modern-day IRC room. Its a great way to chat just between members. We'd had a good number of members join, if you are an active member and didn't receive an invite, let me know! You can also sign up if you have an @gainesvillehackerspace.org email address.

If you have fun projects you've worked on recently, email me at secretary@gainesvillehackerspace.org, and I'll add them to the next digest!

Christopher Hoffman
Secretary, Gainesville Hackerspace.