Hackerspace Weekly Digest: Nov 5th - Designing for 3D Printing, Recycled blocks of HDPE, and more!

Christopher Hoffman

Nov 5, 2017, 8:51:06 PM11/5/17
to Gainesville Hackerspace
Hey Hackers!

Its time for the weekly digest, where I bring you the goings-on of the Gainesville Hackerspace!

Calendar:
  • Tuesday (11/07/2017)
    • 6pm: Monthly Board Meeting. All are welcome to attend and listen to updates from the board members. Minutes will be posted afterwards as always.
    • 7pm: Weekly Open House! Everyone is welcome to join us at the Downtown Location, meet our members, check out our space, and bring a project if you want!
      • Voting Members: We didn't meet quorum last week due to Halloween, so the two applications from last week will be on the ballot. Check your emails from last week for the usual details!
  • Thursday (11/09/2017)
    • 7pm: Christopher Hoffman will be hosting "How to Design for 3D Printing", a workshop going over what you need to know when design a model to be 3D printed, in order to take advantage of the strengths of 3D printing.
Misc:
  • We have a new Slack Chatroom! Slack is awesome, think of it as a modern-day IRC room. Its a great way to chat just between members. We'd had a good number of members join, if you are an active member and didn't receive an invite, let me know! You can also sign up if you have an @gainesvillehackerspace.org email address.
  • Kamin M. will be hosting an "Introduction to CamBam for CNC and Laser Cutters" workshop next week (Aiming for Thursday, Nov 16th, at 7pm). Still finalizing the facebook/meetup events with the details, but keep an eye out for that!
  • Joseph F. and Kamin M. were trying out recycling HDPE jugs into blocks to be CNC routed. They shared a few of their results on the Slack chatroom (shameless plug to join us there!). Ask them about their experiments!
  • We've been chatting with folks from makerspaces in the Central Florida area! I'm hoping to get some people together to go visit a few in Tampa and Orlando in the near future, so keep an ear out for those announcements.

If you have fun projects you've worked on recently, email me at secr...@gainesvillehackerspace.org, and I'll add them to the next digest! Otherwise, I'll just keep cherry-picking from conversations in slack ;D

Christopher Hoffman
Secretary, Gainesville Hackerspace.