Bylaw changes:Additional officers

Joseph DiPietro

Mar 29, 2018, 2:50:43 PM3/29/18
to Gainesville Hackerspace
I've been asked why I oppose the new officer proposal.
I don't believe the described positions require the authority to sign contracts or otherwise legally commit the organization to a course of action. These positions can be appointed (or elected) and granted the authority to do their jobs without listing them on sunbiz.org as officers.

Daniel Crisman

Mar 29, 2018, 3:20:29 PM3/29/18
to gainesville...@googlegroups.com
Our bylaws even have a way to do this.  The board could create an Education Committee and appoint a chain without any bylaws change.

I never got a response to my email question on this topic:
"Is there a reason why we want them as officers rather than creating two new committees?"

Christopher Hoffman

Mar 29, 2018, 9:57:33 PM3/29/18
to Gainesville Hackerspace
Our bylaws even have a way to do this.  The board could create an Education Committee and appoint a chain without any bylaws change.

I never got a response to my email question on this topic:
"Is there a reason why we want them as officers rather than creating two new committees?"

I must have missed that email, I apologize for that, but I brought up my reasoning for making them full positions during the meeting. I feel they deserve the full position as a listed officer and title to directly benefit the mission as outlined in Article I Section 2 of our bylaws.

However, I do fully support the creation of committees to cover those roles in the absence of the bylaw changes. We will be discussing committee creation and goals during the April Board meeting next Tuesday, so keep on the look out for that!