Radio Shack demise signals the rise of mom and pops?

GRB352

Apr 20, 2015, 3:34:57 PM4/20/15
to gainesville...@googlegroups.com

I thought this might make for interesting discussion:

I saw this on hack-a-day a couple days ago, and it has me wondering about the articles title....

The store in the article sounds cool, and I would love it if there was a store like this locally. (where are you Skip's)

https://youtu.be/0qP6tSDUu0E

I just don't see how Radio Shack closing does them any good, if anything Radio Shack and its overprices parts make them look better by comparison. ($60+ for a Arduino Mega that retails for $15-$20 online)

If the market grew so much then Radio Shack probably could have made it work, but the maker movements is still small in commercial terms so that means low volume. So the people in this mom/pop store will need to charge a comparably high markup in order to compensate for that volume....and that was radio shacks problem. (at least one of them)

Maybe by offering classes and workshops they can offset some of that, and maybe by concentrating on maker components and not dealing with cell phones and TV's they have better luck. More likely people will come and shop in the store, then buy their components online...then in 3 months they will complain that there is nowhere locally to purchase components

wink emoticon

I do hope it works out well for them, and I wish I could run a store like this wink emoticon

http://hackaday.com/2015/04/16/radioshack-demise-could-signal-the-rise-of-mom-and-pop/

Brian Bartholomew

Apr 20, 2015, 10:26:44 PM4/20/15
to gainesville...@googlegroups.com
Electronics Plus closed. The owner made money at it, but he put an
awful lot of time in, too. He told me once what he made most of his
money on and I was surprised, it was custom ethernet cables or PC
power supplies or somesuch. Something that didn't leverage the rest
of the store.

As long as I'm wishing, how about a Fry's with a "everglades" theme?

Brian