discount on 32bit smoothieboards

GRB352

Mar 11, 2015, 1:23:35 PM3/11/15
to gainesville...@googlegroups.com
After over a month of discussion and hullabaloo, a group buy has moved form the Q100 price to the Q200 discount

The US-link and code are at the top of this thread.
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/deltabot/xmyOb_gsmm4

The makers of one of the 32bit alternatives to a 8-bit AVR board is letting the deltabot group make a group buy with a 25% discount code that includes everything on the site.

Mostly the 3d printer market is using the 8-bit AVR boards, but there have been a few recent alternatives that have moved from bleeding edge to viable options. With Delta-bots in particular, extra resources are needed and often quality and/or features have to be disabled...Sometime I just have to turn down the segments/second from 200 to 100-120 sometimes as low as 70. and the full-graphics LCD takes up a ton of resources that I would rather trade for more segments/sec. The s/s is one of the variables that determines your max speed.

I've been looking at the 32bit AVR (due+ramps-fd ~$75) stuff because it is very close to the 8bit stuff, using the same firmware with different options.(200-600 segment/sec) However this is one of the less mature/adopted directions...and I haven't been swimming in success with it.
http://www.geeetech.com/wiki/index.php/Ramps-FD

Another alternative is LinuxCNC (like our CNC router), and the most widely used hardware for that is Beaglebone Black and a choice of very expensive capes (~$200-$250 altogether) there is something called machinekit (linuex SD boot image) that makes getting up and going pretty easy with that hardware...but their group is having a ton of activity and advancement lately and since I don't want to blaze a trail, I think a year from now will be a better time (and hopefully price) to try that route.
http://blog.machinekit.io/p/machinekit_16.html

The other 32bit widely adopted option is Smoothie.
https://github.com/Smoothieware/Smoothieboard
I've never used it, but their share of the market has been growing, and I think the size of this group buy isn't going to hurt that. All of the talk is positive, the results on youtube and in delta-group are impressive. I have just been waiting to see if it "takes" or not before I spent the money. price has been dropping anyway from $200+ to what is is now, and the discount makes it a good time to get on board...so to speak.

GRB352

Mar 11, 2015, 1:28:56 PM3/11/15
to gainesville...@googlegroups.com
oh, and hey...I forgot to add a GLCD adapter to my order
http://shop.uberclock.com/products/smoothieboard-glcd-shield

so if anyone orders a board, you will want one and get and extra for me and I will reimburse or trade you for a GLCD
http://reprap.org/wiki/RepRapDiscount_Full_Graphic_Smart_Controller