Unix Book Bundle?

Daniel Crews

Dec 6, 2016, 1:29:06 PM12/6/16
to gainesville...@googlegroups.com
Anyone have any comments on whether or not these books are still worth picking up? I've still got a lot to learn about Unix-y operating systems.

https://www.humblebundle.com/books/unix-book-bundle

--
Fin

Randy Fischer

Dec 6, 2016, 1:36:27 PM12/6/16

On Tue, Dec 6, 2016 at 1:29 PM, Daniel Crews <daniel...@gmail.com> wrote:
Anyone have any comments on whether or not these books are still worth picking up? I've still got a lot to learn about Unix-y operating systems.

A lot are pretty dated (Essential System Administration, 2002) or specific to narrow needs (Lex and Yacc).

I like the nutshell handbooks in general and the bash cookbook,  but if you have a public library card you should be able to read these as ebooks.

-Randy

Allen Rout

Dec 6, 2016, 1:39:36 PM12/6/16
to gainesville...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Dec 6, 2016 at 1:29 PM, Daniel Crews <daniel...@gmail.com> wrote:
I own lots of them; they're good books, and they're mostly current.
If you enjoy reading that sort of guided tour through features,
they're good fodder.

With lots of things, "Not current" can mean something like "no useful
value". For Unix, "not current" still has lots and lots of perfectly
effective information.

- Allen S. Rout

Brian Berry

Dec 6, 2016, 1:55:57 PM12/6/16
to gainesville...@googlegroups.com
I purchased this bundle and am really happy with it. I am reading the Learning the Vi and Vim Editors and Learning the Bash Shell books currently. If you are interested in buying any of these books, the entire bundle is cheaper than purchasing any of these books individually. Also, they come in pdf, epub, and mobi formats with seemingly unlimited downloads of each.

I have checked out books with my Alachua County Library card through Safari Books Online, but I find it inconvenient as I have to log in, find the book, and find where I left off every time my session expires. I generally find it more useful for determining whether a title is worth purchasing or not.

Also, they have a bundle of stuff from Make: magazine right now if anyone is interested, I picked it up as well. A little older, but a lot of cool projects to check out. https://www.humblebundle.com/books/science-and-discovery-book-bundle

- Brian Berry

Daniel Crews

Dec 6, 2016, 2:42:08 PM12/6/16
to gainesville...@googlegroups.com
Sounds like they're probably worth the price for some casual reads to get more familiar with Unix. And the DRM-free bit of it is a major selling point for me. Thanks for your feedback everyone!

As for that Make bundle, man, I was excited to see a bunch of space texts, but I'm not sure how much of it is new to me, given that I've been researching that field obsessively for a while...

Fin

Eddie Reid

Dec 19, 2016, 9:35:42 AM12/19/16
to gainesville...@googlegroups.com
All,

I will be operating a ozone generator in an attempt to kill the mold and
mildew in the down town HS. This will be starting Wednesday morning at
about 8am. This will mean that the down town HS is closed until this
process is complete, depending on how regular I am at changing the
generators location in the space, it will be closed for about 4-5 days.

I will send another email out when the process is complete.

WARRING

Because ozone is a oxidizer it can deteriorate some thing like natural
rubber and can cause a fire if there are flammables open to the air.
Please insure that you have not left any flammables like acetone or
alcohol in the space, it is better to be save than sorry.

Also please check if Ozone will harm anything that you have at the
space. HS will not be responsible for any damage to items that you left
in the space during the Ozone cleaning.

If for any reason you can't get something out of the HS before Wednesday
let me know so that I can postpone the cleaning.

Thank you,

Eddie

Mark Venzke

Dec 27, 2016, 2:19:15 PM12/27/16
to Hackerspace
Eddie,

Ah, you are the one with the ozone generator.

May I borrow or rent it from you?

Mark

Eddie Reid

Dec 27, 2016, 2:37:26 PM12/27/16
to gainesville...@googlegroups.com

Hi Mark,

I would if it was my but It is not mine, it belongs to Ken Mcgrun our landlord.

Eddie

To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gainesville-hackerspace/CALdJWpTRL3LBxiSCQXxcPRDCYV1UxXbV%3DUcqq3PndDrWRxsh2Q%40mail.gmail.com.

Mark Venzke

Dec 27, 2016, 2:49:02 PM12/27/16