AI robot programming game

Daniel Bui

Mar 19, 2016, 11:39:52 PM3/19/16
to Gainesville Hackerspace
After the discussion about BattleBots last Tuesday, I googled and found a link to an old project I worked on with UF-ACM back in 1997: http://www.cise.ufl.edu/~acm/JavaBots/.  It was inspired by the crobots game from the 80s, which is an AI programming game.  Embarassingly, I had heard about the existance of crobots but, for whatever reason, never got around to actually use much less study the design of the original crobots.  Anyway, I downloaded the jbotsdk.zip off the old ACM webpage and updated the code to run on a current Java runtime since it was originally designed with JDK 1.1 in mind.  I posted the updated version on Github: https://github.com/danielbui78/javabots.  You might notice that there is just a Zip containing source code and byte-compiled jar file rather than a normal source code repository.  That's just because I don't have the mental energy to figure out how to link my git command line tools with my github account.

matteroflight

Mar 20, 2016, 9:56:43 AM3/20/16
to Gainesville Hackerspace

This was a fun version I played a while ago:  http://fightcodegame.com

As for git, as long as you have it installed, you can just clone your repo with:
git clone repoURL
Then you can make and commit changes:
git commit -am "added some feature"
And then push those changes:
git push
You'll be prompted for your password maybe you need to reset this first if you forgot it.  Working with git can be as easy as commiting then pushing.  I hope this helps!
-Michael

On Mar 19, 2016 11:39 PM, "Daniel Bui" <danie...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

matteroflight

Mar 20, 2016, 10:36:35 AM3/20/16
to Gainesville Hackerspace

Daniel Bui

Mar 20, 2016, 1:14:18 PM3/20/16
to Gainesville Hackerspace
Thanks for the github help!  The github repo is now updated with the unzipped source code.  And thanks for sharing the links.  I had not seen those versions before, but looks like they are all far better thought out than my attempt.  I can't believe it's been 19 years since I started programming this during lunch breaks and in between classes at UF.  The source code is now as old as I was back then.

It's interesting to see the evolution in bot AI over the last 20 years...  going from the first quake deathmatch bots to the MMO gold farming bots to the now ubiquitous MMO heal bots -- because apparently being a human MMO healer is about as emotionally rewarding as being a healer in real life these days, hehe.  If I were to design an AI competition now, I'd make the goal of the competition to be creating a co-op bot that is actually helpful, polite and fun to play with.