Hackerspace Weekly Digest: Oct 29th - New Slack chat, Halloween, and images/videos from Maker Faire!

Christopher Hoffman

Oct 29, 2017, 9:18:15 PM10/29/17
to Gainesville Hackerspace
Hey hacker,

Sorry about my lack of a weekly digest last week, we were recovering from a very successful Orlando Maker Faire! More on that below, but first:

Calendar:
  • Tuesday (10/31)
    • 7pm: Weekly Open House! Everyone is welcome to join us at the Downtown Location, meet our members, check out our space, and bring a project if you want! Its Halloween, so I'm sure something spooooooky will be happening!
      • Voting Members: Two new applications to vote on, check your email for the usual details.
Misc:
  • We have a new Slack Chatroom! Slack is awesome, think of it as a modern-day IRC room. Its for members only, I sent invites to the emails that I have on record, but if you are a member and did not receive an invite to Slack, let me know! We have 15 people on there so far, and lots of good conversation happening!
  • We are looking for people wanting to give presentations, or teach classes or workshops! We've had a lot of interest in keeping our Thursday Night classes going, so if you have a topic you want to talk about, let me know! It doesn't have to be an entire production, we aren't looking for college professors teaching PHD level classes, we just want to learn from you!

Maker Faire Orlando:
Last weekend, Frank, Joseph F., Liza, Daniel S., and myself went down to Orlando to participate in Maker Faire Orlando! We had a Gainesville Hackerspace booth, where we showcased a few members projects: Rob's awesome 3D prints, some of my animatronic Pokemon, Kamin's Master Sword, Beacon Light Signs, 3D scanning and 3D printing, and a Commodore 64 which was way more popular than I could ever imagine! Frank brought his train, and joined Joseph F. with the rest of the Menagerie in Motion group, and Liza was selling her Botsy!

It was a great time. There was a lot of booth traffic, including a number of Gainesvillians which was awesome. There was a number of Alachua county librarians there, asking if we'd like to come out to their branches and teach classes (if you are interested, I'd love to join, I think that kind of community service would be great to see). We also had a chance to meet members of a few other maker/hackerspace, including the Tampa Hackerspace, FamiLabs (Orlando), Maker Fx (Orlando), and Melbourne Makerspace. Hopefully we'll see some cross-pollination there, see what does/doesn't work for other organizations like ours.

The rest of the faire had all kinds of makers exhibiting, from actual battle bot fights, to flame throwing games, remote controlled R2D2 and Daleks, black smithing, and so much more. If you ever have a chance to visit a Maker Faire, I'd highly recommend it.

I made a video showing our booth, and a tour of some of the great exhibits at the Faire. You can check it out here! I'll also leave a few pictures here. This was a great experience, I cannot wait for the next opportunity to show our awesome organization to the world!

Keep Hacking,

Christopher Hoffman
Secretary, Gainesville Hackerspace

Chris Allen Lane

Oct 31, 2017, 7:06:37 PM10/31/17
to gainesville...@googlegroups.com
Question:

> There was a number of Alachua county librarians there, asking if we'd
like to come out to their branches and teach classes

Did they indicate what kind of topics they're interested in? I enjoy
teaching, and would be interested in doing this if I knew anything relevant.

Chris Allen Lane

Engineer

@chrisallenlane
chris-allen-lane.com