scopes and such

dis7ant

Dec 26, 2014, 2:31:54 PM12/26/14
to gainesville...@googlegroups.com
Ello,
   I'd just slip down and have a look for myself if I could, sorry in advance for the self-answerable question:

What's our O-Scope situation?  I'm going to need one soon for some projects and was looking around for old used tektronics on Ebay, they're a lot more affordable than I remember when I was learning on them in '03 so I'll probably be buying one soon.

I'd ideally like to have one or two available in the space though, and would be willing to locate mine there if there is a need.  I won't be using it often enough to hoard it at home in my lab, so getting more use in the space would be ideal.

Is there a need?

Also, what else do we want/need in the downtown space?  Is there a google doc that's tracking this yet or should I set one up?  I like to donate or colocate where I can, so I'm curious about what tools and supplies are lacking.

Cheers and Happy New Years!
=Dis7ant

Allen Rout

Dec 26, 2014, 3:40:44 PM12/26/14
On Fri, Dec 26, 2014 at 2:31 PM, dis7ant <dis...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Ello,
> I'd just slip down and have a look for myself if I could, sorry in
> advance for the self-answerable question:
>
> What's our O-Scope situation? I'm going to need one soon for some projects
> and was looking around for old used tektronics on Ebay, they're a lot more
> affordable than I remember when I was learning on them in '03 so I'll
> probably be buying one soon.

We've got two scopes in the space that I know about, and there may be more.

We've got what was a Very Fancy scope-and-function-generator ca. 20 years ago.

> I'd ideally like to have one or two available in the space though, and would
> be willing to locate mine there if there is a need. I won't be using it
> often enough to hoard it at home in my lab, so getting more use in the space
> would be ideal.
>
> Is there a need?

I'd say take a look at what we've got, as a first stab.

> Also, what else do we want/need in the downtown space? Is there a google
> doc that's tracking this yet or should I set one up? I like to donate or
> colocate where I can, so I'm curious about what tools and supplies are
> lacking.

There's a needed-sheet google doc rattling around somewhere, and we've
got a few approximations of "What do we have?" on the wiki.

wkik.skillhouse.org

More folks wanting to record what we haven't yet written down would be
REALLY welcome. :)

- Allen S. Rout

dis7ant

Dec 26, 2014, 3:52:00 PM12/26/14
to gainesville...@googlegroups.com

Word, thanks.

matteroflight

Dec 26, 2014, 4:14:44 PM12/26/14
to gainesville...@googlegroups.com

On Fri, Dec 26, 2014 at 3:51 PM, dis7ant <dis...@gmail.com> wrote:

Word, thanks.

dis7ant

Dec 26, 2014, 4:16:42 PM12/26/14
to gainesville...@googlegroups.com

Re: dat spreadsheet.

That's exactly what I was looking for, thanks

Christian Pawlak

Dec 27, 2014, 1:14:47 PM12/27/14
to gainesville...@googlegroups.com
We currently have:

A 50MHz Rigol DS1052E (which may be firmware hackable to 100 MHz http://www.eevblog.com/forum/blog/changing-the-rigol-ds1052e-to-ds1102e-using-usb-the-dummy-guide/)
An HP logic analyzer with a scope function. (Boots, but have not tested inputs, has manual. I think 100MHz and 500 or 1000 MS/s)
A broken HP freq gen.
One 1x/10x rigol switchable probe
One BNC to RCA adapter

Brian Bartholomew

Dec 28, 2014, 3:45:51 AM12/28/14
to gainesville...@googlegroups.com
I have seen the analog scope function working on the HP digital/analog
scope. It claims 200 MHz as I recall. Probes are in the bag on top.
To make the one-shot trigger self-rearm and sweep continuously do
something like shift-Run. This is a complicated instrument, there is
a trainer board and a walkthrough of using it on the bookshelf. There
may be 20 screens of top level menus, and the analog scope function
uses something like 6 screens of menus. All these menus are operated
by *ONE* knob. If you need the combined digital/analog functionality,
great. But, if you are just looking for scope functions, the Rigol
has a lot more knobs in a more traditional scope front panel layout,
it's more straightforward to use.

Brian

dis7ant

Dec 28, 2014, 8:56:23 AM12/28/14
to gainesville...@googlegroups.com

Thanks for the heads up Brian, I definitely only need the analog scope functions right now so I'll probably avoid the wizardry for now.

rfEngineers

Dec 28, 2014, 2:15:06 PM12/28/14
to gainesville...@googlegroups.com
I have a nice (came out of a County Judge's Chamber) wooden conference
table, 3-feet wide by 8-feet long.
The table is going on Craig's List (or perhaps freecycle) for free later
today. The finish is in fair shape, the structural condition is very good.

If it could be used at the space or the shop, or if anyone else wants to
come and claim for their own it before I offer it to the nameless
hordes, speak now.

Joe

---

dis7ant

Dec 28, 2014, 2:16:43 PM12/28/14
to gainesville...@googlegroups.com

I probably want this, unless its too big to manage.  I can pick it up tonight, how long is it?

Of course if the space needs it then that gets first dibs

Joseph DiPietro

Dec 28, 2014, 2:25:18 PM12/28/14
to gainesville...@googlegroups.com

Eight feet long. Three feet wide.

sent from my android phone.

On Dec 28, 2014 2:16 PM, "dis7ant" <dis...@gmail.com> wrote:

I probably want this, unless its too big to manage.  I can pick it up tonight, how long is it?

Of course if the space needs it then that gets first dibs

dis7ant

Dec 28, 2014, 2:28:49 PM12/28/14
to gainesville...@googlegroups.com

Want.  If the space can't use it then when/where can I pick it up?

Thank you, btw

Manuel Haas

Dec 28, 2014, 3:13:46 PM12/28/14
to gainesville...@googlegroups.com

I think the space could use this.  I'm happy to move it there.  Does anyone agree?  Where is the table? Could i stop by and take a look?