Policy Proposal: Area Champions

Christopher Hoffman

Feb 19, 2018, 7:49:48 PM2/19/18
to Gainesville Hackerspace
Hey Hacker,

Here is my official proposal for the concept of Area Champions, to be added to the Policy Document. According to the Bylaws, policy changes need to be submitted for consideration 2 weeks in advance, but I figured we'll talk about it during the Annual Meeting on March 27th.

Official pull request can be found on the repo here: https://github.com/Skillhouse/bylaws/pull/5/files

Area Champions:
Area Champions are volunteer members who have taken on the task of managing an
area for the health and safety of the members. They are the go-to contacts for
their area; responsible for coordinating training, maintenance, and ensuring
the safe use of the tools and equipment in their respective areas.

The Area Champion positions are created and filled as needed by the Board of
Directors. Any active member, including current Officers, is eligible to become
an Area Champion.

This is the concept of 'Area Champions' or 'Czars' or 'Person of Contact', basically a person/people that oversees a particular area of the Hackerspace. Much like how Brian B has an intense knowledge of the Industrial shop, and all the tools/equipment in it, he is the go-to person when someone has a question about that area. He's done extensive work documenting the tools, and has written up guidelines of use and how to be safe when working here. If Brian was so kind to volunteer, he's be the perfect example of an Area Champion.

Area Champion positions would be created as needed. Right now we might have a Digital Fabrication Champion (3D printing, laser cutting, CNC routing), a Wood Working Champion, a Metal Shop Champion, a Workstation Champion. As we expand, we might need to create additional champions, or split existing ones, etc. For example, see the list of Milwaukee Makerspace's champions on the right side of their wiki (https://wiki.milwaukeemakerspace.org/)

These Champions would be the person that new members would go to to get up-to-speed on the tools. The Champions would also be responsible for keeping an eye on the equipment, noting when something needs maintenance, and raising attention when something becomes so popular that we might want to consider purchasing new equipment. As we get more tools which require training, the Champion would work with the Secretary (or directly with the Education Officer if that position is created) to encourage instructors to schedule trainings. They would encourage people to learn the skills of their area, and make sure people are aware of the rules and are able to work safely.

As an aside, and this is not part of this initial proposal but may help spread light on it, but there was an interesting article a few months ago about Milwaukee Makerspace and how they collect and allocate donations to the various areas of the organization. You can read it here: http://rasterweb.net/raster/2017/12/26/five-dollars-of-your-makerspace-dues/. Basically, members can allocate $5 of their dues to go directly to a fund for an area. The Champions are in direct control of the funds their area receives. They are free to spend it how they see fit. Needs more roll of 3D printing filament? The champion can buy it. Are people queueing up to use the laser cutter? Well the Laser Champion can save funds until there is enough to purchase a new cutter, etc. The champions have a better feel for the needs of their area then the Board might , so this is a good low friction way to keep an area running smoothly. We are not quite here yet, but might be an interesting concept to revisit in the future.

That is my proposal. Let me know what you think!
-Christopher Hoffman

Brian Bartholomew

Feb 20, 2018, 5:46:38 PM2/20/18
to gainesville...@googlegroups.com
Leadership theory opinions:

Leadership and management use the same techniques. Leadership
inspires, management infuriates.

Authority/Power, Responsibility/Duty, and Accountability/
Punishment must be the same strength and scope, or the game
theory of the delegation doesn't work.

> 'Area Champions' or 'Czars' or 'Person of Contact'

I don't think those are equivalent terms or roles, and I do think this
proposal should distinguish between them.

'Person of Contact' sounds like an administrative bookkeeper,
who doesn't craft and promote their own policy ideas.

'Area Champion' is a cheerleader, a thought leader due to
their recognized knowledge and enthusiasm, but not an executive.

'Czar' is a person who gets to say yes or no on their own
authority, disregarding the objections of others.

> They are the go-to contacts for their area; responsible for
> coordinating training, maintenance, and ensuring the safe use of the
> tools and equipment in their respective areas.

Those sound like duties, which the incumbent will be punished for by
condemnation and replacement if they don't achieve those objectives.
What authority over people, stuff, and budget are you assigning to
this Czar? Please describe the proposed power, duty, and punishment
for this delegation in equal detail.

The Czar model is normal for a business, but in my opinion I don't
think it belongs in a hackerspace, which I would rather see run by
consensus. An Area Champion may gain mindshare for their objection by
fussing loudly, but that's not the same as saying no.

Brian

Christopher Hoffman

Feb 25, 2018, 9:27:45 PM2/25/18
to Gainesville Hackerspace
'Area Champion' is a cheerleader, a thought leader due to
        their recognized knowledge and enthusiasm, but not an executive.

Sorry about the confusion of terms, "Champion", "Czar", and "PoC" are terms used by other Hacker/Makerspaces for this type of similar position, and I thought that "Champion" would fit our space and culture the best. But terms and titles definitely do matter. Your description of the position is what I had in mind. Someone who wants others to learn and be able to use the equipment provided, the person we can point new faces towards to get them excited about that area, and someone with an ear to the ground on what is being used, and what could be replaced with something that would be used, and how we can encourage people to use the area more effectively.

What authority over people, stuff, and budget are you assigning to
this Czar?  Please describe the proposed power, duty, and punishment
for this delegation in equal detail.

The Champion wouldn't have direct control over members, for instance they wouldn't be able to disable access cards for a member. Nor would they immediately have access to their own budget to buy/sell equipment in their area. What they would do, like any member, would bring any issues or requests like that to the attention of the Board. My hope is that the Board would trust those champions, and lean heavily on their thoughts and opinions. The Champions would help guide their area, propose rules that would help their space run more effectively, and lead by example. Having Champions focused on a particular area makes it far more likely they would notice usage patterns, or spot members which might not be playing by the rules.

For instance, if a Champion noticed that I might not be cleaning up after I used the Fireball CNC, I'd hope they would approach me and remind me that we are all working in a shared space, and we should work to keep it clean. If I continued to not clean up, then they would raise the issue with the board. The champion might also suggest other ways to encourage cleanliness, like a giant sign saying "# Days Clean" that gets reset after a member forgets to clean up, etc.

Randy Fischer

Feb 25, 2018, 9:53:33 PM2/25/18
to gainesville...@googlegroups.com

Sorry about the confusion of terms, "Champion", "Czar", and "PoC" are terms used by other Hacker/Makerspaces for this type of similar position, and I thought that "Champion" would fit our space and culture the best. But terms and titles definitely do matter.

Well, let me suggest an alternative that might satisfice: Mentor.

Brian Bartholomew

Feb 27, 2018, 3:01:04 AM2/27/18
to gainesville...@googlegroups.com
> spot members which might not be playing by the rules.

Power, duty, and punishment all need to be defined for there to be
rules. Here's a proposal:

Duty: clean up your work area at least as good as you found
it. When you fill up a vacuum cleaner, trash can, or chip
tray, empty it.*

Power: anyone who finds sawdust or chips left scattered may
post a shaming picture to the mailing list.

Punishment: the member who didn't clean up their mess is
required to admit to the mistake on the mailing list, go clean
it up relatively quickly, and post about that completion.

* We seem to be thoughtfully retaining metal chips. Is that to turn
in for surplus value? To not landfill recyclables? Or should
these go in the dumpster?

Brian

Daniel Crisman

Mar 13, 2018, 6:53:11 PM3/13/18