Machining lessons for members

Brian Bartholomew

May 10, 2018, 1:59:31 AM5/10/18
to gainesville...@googlegroups.com
Without training, you'll throw a workpiece. Ask Rout how many times
we both ripped a 1.5" diameter aluminum round workpiece out of the
8x12 lathe chuck and bounced it off the wall when I first got a lathe.
Ask Rout about the carbide drill/mill bit they broke and the collet
they spun putting 1" holes in structural steel on the mill. Machining
metal is harder than woodworking!

So far I've had 1 expression of schedule interest for classes of 2
hours a week, 1 day a week. With the time cost of setup, teardown,
and cleanup, I think that's too short. 3 hours is better and 4 hours
is better still. The Physics machine shop course finds a useful level
of ability can be taught in 100 hours, in 4 hour pieces 2 times a
week. That includes sweat soldering by propane and OA, and TIG demo,
which can be omitted. How about 4 hours/class, 1 class/week, for 5
weeks. Any takers for 20 hours? Classes won't be on-demand, because
I want the efficiency of teaching multiple students.

I don't want to consume class time doing something you can do on your
own: lecture, reading, video-watching. I think video-making and
wiki-writing is off-topic. I think taking dictation is not helpful,
there are plenty of cheap used textbooks to describe generalities.
Instead I want to do demos totally custom to our equipment and setup,
and supervision and interactive debugging of your efforts.

Brian

Christopher Hoffman

May 11, 2018, 9:39:45 PM5/11/18
to Gainesville Hackerspace
This sounds amazing. I'd be up for 4 hour classes one day a week, for a 5 week series. This is a great opportunity, this is what I'd like to see more of! *hint hint other members*

Joseph Floyd

May 11, 2018, 9:58:09 PM5/11/18
to gainesville...@googlegroups.com
Good call on publicly expressing interest Chris!

Sorry I never responded here Brian.

Depending on the day/night I'd be up for a 5 week series of 4 hours blocks could work...though I'd likely have to bring a pot of caffeine to keep me focused.

Do you have a firm minimum number to make it worthwhile Brian?

Have a great day and keep pedaling,

Joseph

https://www.linkedin.com/in/josephfloyd

cell: 912-717-1044

-------         o

------ _ `\ <, _

----- ( • ) / ( • )

 --------------------

"Those who wish to control their own lives

and move beyond existence as mere

clients and consumers - those people

ride a bike."  ~ Wolfgang Sachs

On Fri, May 11, 2018 at 9:39 PM, Christopher Hoffman <csh.h...@gmail.com> wrote:
This sounds amazing. I'd be up for 4 hour classes one day a week, for a 5 week series. This is a great opportunity, this is what I'd like to see more of! *hint hint other members*

Kamin Miller

May 11, 2018, 10:40:00 PM5/11/18
to gainesville...@googlegroups.com
I'm down for a class series as well.

What kind of topics are you looking to cover?  Is it going to be a "We will learn these techniques to make part X?"  Naturally, it will come down to learning the tool, then facing, cutting, cooling, threading, and parting.  Anything else I'm missing?

-Kamin

On Fri, May 11, 2018 at 9:58 PM, Joseph Floyd <jfloy...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Brian Bartholomew

May 12, 2018, 4:04:51 AM5/12/18
to gainesville...@googlegroups.com
> Do you have a firm minimum number to make it worthwhile Brian?

I had in mind four, but we already have interest in the 4 hour by 5
week format expressed by:

Randy Fischer,
Jim Wilson,
Chris Hoffman,
Kamin Miller,
new person from Thursday's Rosy the Riveter 3D printing (Alicia?)
Joseph Floyd

Bringing over the 7x10 for a total of 2 lathes and 1 mill handles that count.

> What kind of topics are you looking to cover? Is it going to be a
> "We will learn these techniques to make part X?"

Yes, where X is a paperweight with lathed and milled components.
Daniel Crews suggested making a functional object. I first thought of
a sextant, there's a nice 20 hour project for beginners. Traditional
is making a centerpunch hammer, 1-2-3 blocks, parallel clamps,
machinist's jack, work stop for mill vise. None of those inspire me.

> Naturally, it will come down to learning the tool, then facing,
> cutting, cooling, threading, and parting. Anything else I'm
> missing?

How about: bandsaw, belt sander, filing, deburring, pedestal grinder,
don't wear leather gloves, hammering down the workpiece onto parallels
in the mill vise, edge finder, dial indicators, bow calipers,
micrometer, surface plate for height measurement and scribing,
microscope...I'll come with a real lesson plan.

Brian

Christopher Hoffman

Jul 22, 2018, 11:05:00 PM7/22/18
to Gainesville Hackerspace
Brian, still wanting to teach this class? I'm antsy to learn!

Brian Bartholomew

Jul 23, 2018, 5:02:06 AM7/23/18
to gainesville...@googlegroups.com
> Brian, still wanting to teach this class? I'm antsy to learn!

It will be after the mill is both a) moved in and b) tuned up. If
nothing is broken and it's just cleaning and lubricating, tuneup
should take a few evenings.

Brian

Alex Fox-Alvarez

Jul 23, 2018, 12:13:54 PM7/23/18
to gainesville...@googlegroups.com
Awesome! I'm definitely interested in attending!

Cheers,
-A
______________________________
Wm. Alexander Fox-Alvarez, DVM, MS,
Assistant Professor, Small Animal Surgery
University of Florida College of Veterinary Medicine
Gainesville, Florida
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:
This email is covered by the Electronic Communications Privacy Act, 18 U.S.C. 2510-2521 and is legally privileged.The content of this email, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure, or distribution is prohibited. If you received this email and are not the intended recipient, please inform the sender by email reply and delete all copies of the original message. Thank you for your cooperation.

matteroflight

Jul 23, 2018, 12:37:50 PM7/23/18
to Gainesville Hackerspace
I'm interested too, thanks for reviving the thread, it got buried under... lots of emails.