Hardware Hack .... literally!

GRB352

Oct 1, 2017, 5:34:07 PM10/1/17
to Gainesville Hackerspace

My board has two PCI-e slots, one 1x and one 16x. Since I want to use the 16x for my graphics card, I really had no choice....hacksaw time.

I wish I could claim to have the brass ones to have come up with this idea, but I saw a dude on youtube do this with a PCIe NIC and said, why not me?

the next day I saw I could have gotten a (16x-1x) PCI-E riser card for <$5 so maybe I shouldn't feel so smug.

Now this really ended up being a waste of time, because my bios doesn't detect this card as a possible boot device so right now I only have my swap file on it.

If anyone knows enough GRUB-Fu, to maybe have grub loaded on the SATA drive, and have an option to boot the partition on /dev/nvme0 (preferably with windows 10 on it) I would like to subscribe to your newsletter.