Making a Rubens' (fire) Tube on Sunday?

Christopher Hoffman

Dec 19, 2014, 1:45:26 PM12/19/14
to gainesville...@googlegroups.com

So I really want to make one. I have found a pretty good tutorial: https://prettygoodphysics.wikispaces.com/file/view/How+to+Build+a+Rubens+Tube.pdf

The pieces only cost about twenty or so bucks for everything (minus the propane tank), so I was thinking about maybe doing this on Sunday (Dec 19th). Anyone want to join me? I can pick up all the hardware, I was wondering if anyone had a propane tank we could borrow. I'm sure there is a speaker or two at the skillhouse we could use for this.

dis7ant

Dec 19, 2014, 1:59:48 PM12/19/14
to gainesville...@googlegroups.com

Are you reading my mind?  I'm in on this if you need/want help/money

dis7ant

Dec 19, 2014, 2:01:00 PM12/19/14
to gainesville...@googlegroups.com

Oh and I have a half-dozen or so propane tanks, I think the one on my flame thrower is even half full.  Speakers too, if needed, big 'ns

dis7ant

Dec 19, 2014, 2:09:57 PM12/19/14
to gainesville...@googlegroups.com

Yep, found 'em.  Ready when you are.  (Dog not included. That's my housemate, Daedra)

dis7ant

Dec 19, 2014, 2:10:26 PM12/19/14
to gainesville...@googlegroups.com

I accidentally the link, sorry about the email flood

http://m.imgur.com/O66hBBq

matteroflight

Dec 19, 2014, 5:03:02 PM12/19/14
to gainesville...@googlegroups.com

I would be up to do this sunday too!

On Dec 19, 2014 2:10 PM, "dis7ant" <dis...@gmail.com> wrote:

I accidentally the link, sorry about the email flood

http://m.imgur.com/O66hBBq

dis7ant

Dec 19, 2014, 5:34:17 PM12/19/14
to gainesville...@googlegroups.com

>Sunday Dec 19th

Just so we're clear, today is the 19th and it's Friday.

matteroflight

Dec 19, 2014, 6:05:51 PM12/19/14
to gainesville...@googlegroups.com

This happens th 21st?

On Dec 19, 2014 5:34 PM, "dis7ant" <dis...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Sunday Dec 19th

Just so we're clear, today is the 19th and it's Friday.

Christopher Hoffman

Dec 20, 2014, 10:43:23 AM12/20/14
to gainesville...@googlegroups.com
My bad, yes, Sunday Lol I was thinking 'I should put the date in so no one gets confused...' but then I put yesterday's date. Good job me.

What time would be good for you guys tomorrow?

dis7ant

Dec 20, 2014, 1:58:38 PM12/20/14
to gainesville...@googlegroups.com

OK I'm in for sure.  I may have to drop off the propane tanks, speakers, and whatever else you need and then go help a friend disinfect his computer before I come back and help.  Ya'll figure out the time and I'll be there

Allen Rout

Dec 20, 2014, 2:45:05 PM12/20/14

On Sat, Dec 20, 2014 at 1:58 PM, dis7ant <dis...@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]

You-all planning to do this downtown, or at the shop?  Chris, if you fill out the liability docs linked from

http://wiki.skillhouse.org/index.php/Shop

we can see about getting you validated by the Shop Maven (which is me) and get you a key.

Mumble drill press bandsaw mumble.

352-871-7688 for higher bandwidth.

- Allen S. Rout

Christopher Hoffman

Dec 20, 2014, 7:19:25 PM12/20/14
to gainesville...@googlegroups.com
I'll be meeting Allen at the warehouse location at 1. I'll pick up the stuff in the morning, i'll also bring my extra keyboard to hook up to it. Come join for good times :D

dis7ant

Dec 21, 2014, 9:51:14 AM12/21/14
to gainesville...@googlegroups.com

I'm not paying member yet (have money, just need to be approved by the powers that be) but I have a friend who wants to help/learn with the Ruben Tube today.  Is there any opposition to me bringing him along?  He's absolutely a potential paying member.

Also, I'm loading the propane and speaker now.  Anything else that would be handy? I'll be there by 1

Frank

Dec 21, 2014, 11:54:05 AM12/21/14
to gainesville...@googlegroups.com
Just read the emails. I can head down after a while and assist with any welding if necessary .
Would like to get fireball enclosure welded up while down there too. Have lots of parts and pieces available. Also, some extra muscle to move a cabinet would be nice if we can squeeze it in. Excited to see some activity at the shop.
Remember, keep all fingers attached.

Frank

Sent from my iPad

On Dec 21, 2014, at 9:51 AM, dis7ant <dis...@gmail.com> wrote:

I'm not paying member yet (have money, just need to be approved by the powers that be) but I have a friend who wants to help/learn with the Ruben Tube today.  Is there any opposition to me bringing him along?  He's absolutely a potential paying member.

Also, I'm loading the propane and speaker now.  Anything else that would be handy? I'll be there by 1

Allen Rout

Dec 21, 2014, 12:40:13 PM12/21/14
to gainesville...@googlegroups.com
Non-paying-member types are certainly welcome to come along and
lookie-loo. Make sure you've touched base with the member who's there
hosting. The whole shebang is that member's responsibility, so be
nice to them.

I'm heading out from my house right now

dis7ant

Dec 21, 2014, 12:50:17 PM12/21/14
to gainesville...@googlegroups.com

I'm a little late but am still on the way with propane and speakers.

Christopher Hoffman

Dec 21, 2014, 6:30:50 PM12/21/14
to gainesville...@googlegroups.com
Thank you everyone for coming and helping! I think it was very successful! So... Who's project are we doing next? :D

I've created a google drive folder, feel free to upload any pictures or videos of the tube that you might want to share!

dis7ant

Dec 21, 2014, 6:32:50 PM12/21/14
to gainesville...@googlegroups.com

Yes! That was great, I did leave my speakers on site so hopefully someone works on something that they need help with soon.

matteroflight

Dec 21, 2014, 7:58:59 PM12/21/14
to gainesville...@googlegroups.com
I can't seem to upload... is it open?

On Sun, Dec 21, 2014 at 6:32 PM, dis7ant <dis...@gmail.com> wrote:

Yes! That was great, I did leave my speakers on site so hopefully someone works on something that they need help with soon.

dis7ant

Dec 21, 2014, 8:34:52 PM12/21/14
to gainesville...@googlegroups.com

matteroflight

Dec 21, 2014, 8:53:06 PM12/21/14
to gainesville...@googlegroups.com
I meant the google drive.  I, instead, shared my own folder with Sir Christopher Hoffman.

dis7ant

Dec 21, 2014, 9:02:38 PM12/21/14
to gainesville...@googlegroups.com

Oooohh.  I'll submit the photos/vids that I have

Allen Rout

Dec 22, 2014, 8:25:43 AM12/22/14
to gainesville...@googlegroups.com
I see no 'media' here.

- Allen S. Rout

dis7ant

Dec 22, 2014, 10:47:27 AM12/22/14
to gainesville...@googlegroups.com
I don't think I have access to the group Drive yet, so here's some photos that I have.  A couple of videos are forthcoming as soon as I fix this laptop that belongs to the big grinning face in that one photo, who recorded them.

Also took the liberty of censoring the person's face who didn't consent to having her photo taken, let me know if a blurless version is wanted.

da link: http://imgur.com/a/coxRb

Cheers,
dis7ant

On Mon, Dec 22, 2014 at 8:25 AM, Allen Rout <allen...@gmail.com> wrote:
I see no 'media' here.

- Allen S. Rout

matteroflight

Dec 22, 2014, 2:50:48 PM12/22/14
to gainesville...@googlegroups.com
You can unblur ^.^ and for me too if you have any photos.

dis7ant

Dec 23, 2014, 10:57:52 AM12/23/14
to gainesville...@googlegroups.com

matteroflight

Dec 24, 2014, 4:15:00 AM12/24/14
to gainesville...@googlegroups.com
http://skillhouse.org/ I uploaded two photos from the Rubens' Tube project.  Here's a video of it in action: (see attached)

IMG_4992.MOV

Christian von Kleist

Dec 24, 2014, 7:49:18 PM12/24/14
On Wed, Dec 24, 2014 at 4:14 AM, matteroflight <matter...@gmail.com> wrote:
> http://skillhouse.org/ I uploaded two photos from the Rubens' Tube project.
> Here's a video of it in action: (see attached)

w00t! Thanks for publishing this, Michael!

GRB352

Dec 28, 2014, 4:19:29 PM12/28/14
to gainesville...@googlegroups.com
Any video's of it in action? or will we be forced to anticipate till demo day comes ;-)

dis7ant

Dec 28, 2014, 4:21:02 PM12/28/14
to gainesville...@googlegroups.com

There's video, I'll get it later and post.  I think there is one as an attachment on this email chain as well (from matterofflight I think)

Daniel Crisman

Dec 29, 2014, 7:54:17 AM12/29/14
to gainesville...@googlegroups.com

Rubens' tube @ Skillhouse: