Hackerspace Weekly Digest: Oct 15th - Maker Faire, Sewing Workshop, and more!

Christopher Hoffman

Oct 15, 2017, 8:01:37 PM10/15/17
to Gainesville Hackerspace
Hey Hackers,

Welcome to the weekly digest, an overview of all the happenings at the Gainesville Hackerspace! Hold on to your seats, this is a long one!

Calendar:
  • Monday (10/16) - A handful of us are meeting at the North Shop at 7pm to start discussing and planning for a reorganization of the space. We'll be taking a look at what all is out there, discussing what should stay and what can do, and maybe start taking measurements of equipment for eventual rearrangement. If you'd like to join, I'm sure we could use the help documenting and measuring!
  • Tuesday (10/17)
    • 6pm - Strategy Meeting to discuss final plans for the Orlando Maker Faire this upcoming weekend!
    • 7pm - Demo Night and Open House. Open to the public, all are welcome! Doors open at 7pm, demos and presentations start at 7:30pm. If you want to give a demo, send me an email and I'll add you to the list.
      • Allen Rout - Shopsmith and You! Jointer attachment and shop safety
      • Chris Hoffman - 3D Printing with Selective Laser Sintered Nylon
      • Rob Burns - Adding button controls to 3D Printers or Acetone Vapor Smoothing (awaiting confirmation, let me know Rob!)
    • Voting Members: One new application to vote on, check your email for the usual details.
  • Thursday (10/19) - The Hackerspace is hosting Gainesville seamstress and cosplayer Melissa Tees, who will be teaching "Fake It 'Til You Make It: Sewing Basics", beginning at 7pm. It is a hands-on workshop teaching the basics of sewing, fabric selection, and machine usage. The workshop has reached capacity (and did so in less than 24 hours!), so while Hackerspace members would still be able to enter and use the space, we unfortunately do not have extra seats available in the workshop. There is obviously a demand for these kinds of classes though, so hopefully we will see more of these in the future. Thank you Melissa for offering to lead the workshop!
  • Friday, Saturday, Sunday (10/20-22) - Orlando Maker Faire! A handful of us will be representing the Gainesville Hackerspace at the Orlando Maker Faire. It will be a great opportunity to meet other makers, engage in the community, and spread our name. I am excited, and hopefully will have tons of pictures and video from the event!
Misc:
  • Chris Lane's presentation 'Building a Cryptocurrency Mining Rig' on Oct 7th was amazing, and I finally got all hour and a half of it on youtube! So if you missed it and want to watch it, you can find it here: https://youtu.be/AbWxEG30IDY
  • CamBam has donated a site license for all the computers at the downtown space to use! That means we now have access to the full CamBam CNC package! They have also given us a coupon code for $20 off personal purchases, if you would like to purchase a license for your own computer. I don't know if I can share the coupon code via a public forum, but if you would like to know it contact me! Thank you CamBam, and thank you Kamin M. for reaching out to them on behalf of the space!

Whoa boy that was a lot of stuff. As always, let me know if you have any questions, I'd be happy to answer them!

Christopher Hoffman
Secretary, Gainesville Hackerspace