Re: Digest for gainesville-hackerspace@googlegroups.com - 3 updates in 2 topics

David Nordstedt

Oct 29, 2015, 10:24:45 AM10/29/15
to gainesville...@googlegroups.com
Hi Randy,

Sorry you had trouble with the registration process.  Thanks for letting me know!  This is my first time setting up something like this and the reason I put the password and promo code on there was to give people like hackerspace and tech groups a first shot at the tickets.  On Friday I'll probably open it up as a free public event so anyone can sign up (hopefully a little easier).

Sounds like you have some good thoughts on the movie subject.  I look forward to meeting you at the event!

Cheers,
David

btw, I really like Keepass for keeping track of my passwords

On Thu, Oct 29, 2015 at 6:33 AM, <gainesville...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
Mauricio Tavares <raub...@gmail.com>: Oct 29 06:18AM -0400

Terry King, of yourduino fame, will be doing some travelling through
the SE; their schedule may be something like this but is subject to
change:

Oct. 25-31: TN, MS
Nov. 1-7: AL, LA, FL
Nov. 8-14: FL, GA
Nov. 15-21: SC, NC, VA
Nov. 22-25: Heading home!

I was thinking it would be nice to invite his people to stop by the
Gainesville Hackerspace. Thoughts?
David Nordstedt <david.n...@gmail.com>: Oct 28 09:11PM -0400

Hey there, Hackerspace!

I obtained permission to show Ray Kurweil's 'The Singularity is Near'
movie and got sponsorship so we can show it at the Hippodrome this
Monday for FREE. I hope some of you and/or your friends can attend.
There are a limited number of seats, so if the meetup promo code runs
out and you want to go, send me an email and I'll see if I can get
more.

Hope to see you there!

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/singularity-the-hipp-film-screening-tickets-18797159811
Password: kurzweil
Promotion Code: meetup

Cheers,
David Nordstedt

--
http://www.thefunctionalweb.com
http://www.iotasoftware.xyz

On Wed, Oct 28, 2015 at 9:11 PM, David Nordstedt <david.n...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> There are a limited number of seats, so if the meetup promo code runs
> out and you want to go, send me an email and I'll see if I can get
> more.

Sounds great - I'm no fan of the later Kurzweil, so I'm hopeful that the
film will change my mind. (But I learned 40+ years ago from good old HT
Odum that people usually mistake the initial rise of a sigmoidal curve as a
never-ending exponential. Wikipedia, Lotka-Voltera equation)

Just as an amusing note, here are the hoops I went through to register:

Go to firefox: got to eventbright page. Allow access via noscript. Allow
access via privacy badger. Sign in with eventbright account (md5-based
password, cut and paste from my gpg-encrypted file of 692 web passwords).
Still can't get a register button. Give up.

Go to my
'I-know-they-are-watching-and-I-don't-care-there-is-no-security-so-what'
browser, chrome, sign in, and get a registration.

Go to my handset to make sure I can get the e-ticket. Sigh. Type in the
48 characters of my MD5 password. And again. Spend 10 minutes (of my only
life, which I will never get back) getting out from the advertising to find
out if I have the e-ticket. Find it! Great! That was easy!

There has got to be a better way.

Seriously, though, I really appreciate you doing this. Hoping to be not so
much an old-fart gadfly at the Mia Apa after party.

-Randy Fischer
You have received this digest because you're subscribed to updates for this group. You can change your settings on the group membership page.