docopt...

Allen Rout

Jan 18, 2017, 8:42:34 AM1/18/17
to gainesville...@googlegroups.com
For those of you who weren't at our demo night last night: Chris Lane
did a presentation on a code project he was working on, an activity
logger.

https://github.com/chrisallenlane/node-did

As an aside, he talked a bit about docopt, which kinda rocked my world.

http://docopt.org/

So here's the shtick:

Write the -usage message- for your command line script. And the
docopt library treats that as options parsing configuration.

NEAT!

I dispute with Chris that the docopt pattern has spread to "every
language that matters", but I'd say python, R, .net, rust, C++ F#, Go,
C, PHP (not a complete list) represent a good start.

Christopher Hoffman

Jan 18, 2017, 8:46:22 AM1/18/17
to Gainesville Hackerspace
I mean, I don't see Lisp on that list, but I'll agree its a good start ;)
(Just kidding)

I was really impressed with that presentation. Chris, nice job on it!

I haven't written a CLI tool in a while, but its nice to know that tech like DocOpt exist. While the javascript ecosystem is... vast... it's also nice to know that there is probably a package out there that does exactly what you are looking for.

Philip Chase