Building an RC Robot Using a Wheelchair Base

damion...@gmail.com

Aug 30, 2016, 10:57:49 AM8/30/16
to gainesville...@googlegroups.com
I think Frank has one of these Jazzy wheelchair things in the space. This build looks fairly straight forward. Looks like fun !
Damion

http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/projects/building-an-rc-robot-using-a-wheelchair-base/

matteroflight

Aug 31, 2016, 12:17:51 PM8/31/16
to Gainesville Hackerspace
I think starting with an arduino is cheaper and safer.

Frank

Sep 1, 2016, 9:37:54 AM9/1/16
to gainesville...@googlegroups.com
That's pretty much the plan for the wheelchair base down at the space. Rather than use aftermarket motor controllers such as the Saber units used in the article, I want to use the original motor drivers that are currently on the wheelchair. As it sits the chair is functional and electrically complete. It even has an on board battery charger. The joystick hand control sends signals down to the motor drivers in the lower power control box. The plan is to decipher the signals from the hand control and simulate those by way of a micro controller. At that point control could be by remote control or whatever. Someday I'd like to see it roam our yard with a video camera attached. A word of caution, that thing is powerful and capable of rapid acceleration. It is also rather heavy and could cause significant damage or injury. Hope to have some time to work on it soon, suggestions are welcome.
Thanks

Frank

Sent from my iPad

HSCAMDESK

Sep 11, 2016, 8:18:33 PM9/11/16
to Gainesville Hackerspace
Most of the guides, like the link Damion posted include replacing the jazzy controller with new hardware (bridges).   This would be easier, but tapping into the control box or hand controller would be a lot cheaper.

I stopped by HS the other day to look into that, but the control box doesn't look easy to get in to. I did get the hand controller open, but there was a lot going on in there so I just closed it up before I let the smoke out of something.

This guy did some work on the controller, but its not quite the same as Franks:
http://cwhatidid.com/

If someone can figure the hand controller pins out, I can adapt my roboremo based code to control the robot over wifi with an android tablet.

So far the best idea I heard for Frank's robot is "Mobile Keg and Beer Dispenser" and I would love to see that happen

HSCAMDESK

Sep 11, 2016, 8:21:17 PM9/11/16
to Gainesville Hackerspace