USB microscopes\?

Allen Rout

Feb 23, 2015, 10:36:16 PM2/23/15
to gainesville...@googlegroups.com
I'm thinking of doing a sharpening demo or class.

It'd be nice to be able to examine things closely and repeatably...
Does anyone know, do we have a computer-attached microscope around
somewhere?

I know this is an area that can get arbitrarily expensive... but I'm
looking for the cheap quick fix first.

I'm full of fantasies: Maybe a beagleboard attach, with a card reader
and a Big Red Button. Swipe the card, and it knows who's looking at
samples. Then hit the button and it mails a frame to you?

I'm getting ahead of myself, got to teach the beagleboards to talk to
the card readers first, but I think that would be a neat application.

- Allen S. Rout

Joseph DiPietro

Feb 23, 2015, 10:37:33 PM2/23/15
to gainesville...@googlegroups.com

I have one you may borrow.

sent from my android phone.

Christian von Kleist

Feb 24, 2015, 10:29:59 AM2/24/15
On Mon, Feb 23, 2015 at 10:36 PM, Allen Rout <allen...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Does anyone know, do we have a computer-attached microscope around
> somewhere?

We have or used to have one like the following:

http://amzn.com/B00AFH3IN4

Just looked around the space and couldn't locate it, but I bet it's
here somewhere.

matteroflight

Feb 24, 2015, 11:04:55 AM2/24/15
to gainesville...@googlegroups.com

matteroflight

Feb 24, 2015, 11:08:33 AM2/24/15
to gainesville...@googlegroups.com

Randy Fischer

Feb 24, 2015, 12:11:16 PM2/24/15
to gainesville...@googlegroups.com
I've been unhappy with the low-end digital microscopes - If you want to get all analog, though, I use this:

   http://www.magiscope.com/The-Magiscope.html

as a field microscope - great optics!  Can bring it in...

It's also an indestructable design - originally designed for kids (as they say, of all ages)

-Randy

Leonard Pearlman

Feb 25, 2015, 12:03:54 AM2/25/15
to gainesville...@googlegroups.com
Ah, how about a real binocular microscope?  It gives you quite a view.  Both are fun!  What are you sharpening?  If you're talking about knives or woodworking tools I have a LOT of sharpening stuff, in the form of japanese water stones, and accessories.

Lenny

> Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2015 22:36:14 -0500
> Subject: USB microscopes\?
> From: allen...@gmail.com