Ubiquiti networks: anyone interested in buying some?

Allen Rout

Feb 11, 2017, 3:57:50 PM2/11/17
to gainesville...@googlegroups.com, Eli Ben-shoshan
I'm thinking of redoing my home network, which is again/still not
really working as my family would prefer. From what I've heard,
ubiquiti is pretty awesome, and my read of their docs is making me
feel enthusiastic, too. The shtick is that they're making a lot of
features thought of as 'enterprise' level accessible at a high-end
consumer price point. So instead of a $89
cable-router-plus-wireless-plus-4-port-switch, you buy a separate
access control device, switch, and AP. It's considerably more
expensive, but you've then got building blocks for a network subject
to serious design, instead of a router you're going to ditch in a bit.
Or... so the marketing says, and evidently I've bitten that worm,
hard. I want VLANs in my house.

So I wandered onto Amazon, and saw they have deals for e.g. 5 packs of
some of the APs. It's not huge, but 10% is 10%. I'm already figuring
on picking up a few, maybe 3. If we get a gaggle together, we might
could save a bunch.

I expect to be at the space this Tues, if you're interested in kicking
around this idea, poke around at their website, and come prepared to
talk turkey. :)

https://www.ubnt.com/

- Allen S. Rout

Joseph DiPietro

Feb 11, 2017, 5:07:42 PM2/11/17
to gainesville...@googlegroups.com

I've built a bunch of systems using Ubiquiti equipment, including my own home network. I'd be glad to share some of my experience with you.

Randy Fischer

Feb 12, 2017, 3:02:58 PM2/12/17

On Sat, Feb 11, 2017 at 3:57 PM, Allen Rout <allen...@gmail.com> wrote:
I'm thinking of redoing my home network, which is again/still not...

 Or... so the marketing says, and evidently I've bitten that worm,
hard.   I want VLANs in my house.

So I was looking at this myself - I have a MikroTik appliance that does multiple SSIDs and VLANS (I want to keep the IoT traffic separate). But it doesn't do 5GHz,  and my apartment complex is pretty crowded at 2.4.

But Ubiquiti is pretty expensive when you have to buy a managed VLAN-capable switch, maybe some POE injectors.

Me, I decided on chep and picked up a Netgear R6400-100NAS on sale for $68,  it does multiple SSIDs and VLANs, supposedly - that's this weekend's project, actually (with a transparent bridge for me to record the IoT traffic).

And yes, the CERT advisory on that puppy was announced the week I got it....

I like inexpensive - I'm still using the Cisco DPC3010 cable modem I bought from ebay for $38 back in 2013 (Cox recognized it right away and loaded in their firmware, yep, locked me out of the admin interface.  At least, I hope it was Cox).