Weekly Classes/Workshop

Daniel Smith

Jul 22, 2017, 10:08:02 AM7/22/17
to Gainesville Hackerspace
Calling all cars, calling all cars, or I mean experts!

We are looking for people to do talks on a particular skill they might have just learned, or have perfected through years of practice.

The idea is that we will ask skilled people such as yourselves to come in and talk about that skill and teach others how to do it. We will be doing this once a week every Thursday at 7:00pm at the downtown space. The talk should be just that, a talk or demonstration. You will not need a syllabus or worksheets, it will be more like an extended demo night with only 1 speaker. The classes will be free and for the benefit for everyone.

I encourage anyone who wants to give a talk to prepare some visual aids such as powerpoint or physical demonstration.

If you would like to give a talk, please message Daniel at daniel.smith...@gmail.com to work out the date and details. Hackerspace will then promote your even through its network to get members and the public to attend.

We are also looking for outside people to come in and give talks on skills.

The first class/workshop will be on Thursday July 27th, at 7:00 and is titled Photoshop Basics (for beginners). Although you do not have to RSVP to attend, it is recommended. RSVP at https://www.gainesvillehackerspace.net/ under the CLASSES section.

Christopher Hoffman

Jul 22, 2017, 10:25:51 AM7/22/17
to gainesville...@googlegroups.com
We should use this as an opportunity to gauge interest in these types of weekly classes, and how they would affect our weekly open project nights, open the possibility of combining these with our open houses, etc.

I think our open houses are important in being able to talk with new people, and I am curious to see how many of our members would be able to make time in their busy schedules for two weekly events. I'd hate to see our forces split, so that when a new person shows up they only get to interact with a smaller subset of our members.

I mean, I am all for more classes and sharing knowledge, just curious what other members think!

So, members, what are your opinions on weekly classes? Would you find them valuable? What about our normal open houses? Would you have to choose between open house and classes?  Any other ideas for our weekly meetings (maybe having one at the dirty shop, etc?)

If you would like to give a talk, please message Daniel at daniel.smith.professional@gmail.com to work out the date and details. Hackerspace will then promote your even through its network to get members and the public to attend.

We are also looking for outside people to come in and give talks on skills.

The first class/workshop will be on Thursday July 27th, at 7:00 and is titled Photoshop Basics (for beginners). Although you do not have to RSVP to attend, it is recommended. RSVP at https://www.gainesvillehackerspace.net/ under the CLASSES section.

Joe DiPietro

Jul 22, 2017, 11:26:49 AM7/22/17
to gainesville...@googlegroups.com
I can give a talk on vacuum tube technology, past, present and future.

On 7/22/2017 10:08 AM, Daniel Smith wrote:
> Calling all cars, calling all cars, or I mean experts!
>
> <https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-1qrbKXinF9Q/WXNTjAGG5jI/AAAAAAAAAOk/hkXOk67KkY4B10Zk0m2karIEw2lNPcOFwCLcBGAs/s1600/back-to-school-3.jpg>
---

Liza Kholodkova

Jul 22, 2017, 6:27:25 PM7/22/17
to gainesville...@googlegroups.com
I can do "how to use Botsy and all the applications" class at the end of August

On Sat, Jul 22, 2017 at 11:26 AM, Joe DiPietro <rfeng...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Sincerely,

Liza Kholodkova

Founder of Botsy BeDrawn
Gainesville Hackerspace President
Aerospace and Mechanical Engineer

Joseph Floyd

Jul 23, 2017, 8:31:00 AM7/23/17
to gainesville...@googlegroups.com
Chris,
I'm split on your thought process and partially because of things I've mentioned to others including you and Daniel over time.  I am more concerned with things like this Photoshop class coming up after I've made plans to travel to Orlando for their Maker Faire's planning meeting.

I see these classes as potentially doing these good things:
  • Draw in potential makers and new members interested in specific area vs broad idea of hacking/making
  • provides more content/keeps space active
  • helps build a base for a speaker/presenters bureau
  • Creates potential for presenters to gauge interest in move advanced classes (potential to determine if fee based higher level session is viable)
  • create greater sense of member ownership of space
but only if they avoid these bad things:
  • Better time of day - may need to start at 6pm, Tuesday say they start at 7p but really don't get going until 7:30+
  • Don't run until after 9pm like last Demo Night, people's time is valuable both presenters who sign up and people who come to see a specific presentation that's on the list
  • Must be an off night when people aren't rudely speaking louder than the presenter.  Thursday seems to meet this until we have partition walls and/or sound dampening (something I mentioned at one of the cleanup days)

All of that said, I co-hosted the twice monthly coffee speaker series Green Caffeine from November 2011 until January 2017, before stepping down from US Green Building Council's board.  My only concern is the grind of an every week format, but thats based on the previously mentioned series with only two co-coordinators for much of the time.  I think at some point after a pilot period data might show/help determine four areas of primary interest and a different Expert Member could help manage/own one week per month to find presenters for.  Or data might show that twice per month is the limit.  And surveys of participants will definitely show that sound is an issue if others are working in the space.

The great news is there are a lot of skills in the space and between us all we could knock most of those problems out in really short order.  I for one hope all movable partition walls come with Botsy murals on them...

Have a great day and keep pedaling,

Joseph

https://www.linkedin.com/in/josephfloyd

cell: 912-717-1044

"Those who wish to control their own lives

and move beyond existence as mere

clients and consumers - those people

ride a bike."  ~ Wolfgang Sachs