Slack repeater?

Allen Rout

Dec 31, 2017, 11:58:42 PM12/31/17
to gainesville...@googlegroups.com
Anyone know of a slack repeater/logger/whatever that they find
pleasant? I see several of them out there, and that leads me to want
something that a human connection has found good. Absent that, I
figure I'll use the slackapi python client.

The muckety mucks of the space are conducting a lot of conversation on
the slack channel, about which I'm of two minds. It seems to be
flowing really nicely, which is good. The move was coordinated
pretty darn nicely, and we just (just!) chipped in to buy a tool. So
there's a ferment to the conversation that I like. And Slack 'feels'
a lot like IRC, which is kind of my first language, before even
USENET.

But it's not nearly as accessible to y'all, and it's kind of behind a
registration wall. And our messages are Slack's property, which
squicks me. Now, if lots of folks feel like talking into the
microphone, then that's where the conversation will be, and I'll show
up. But I'd like to be spooling a real-time transcript out to the
world beyond, so that those of you who desire only to be informed may
do so.

And I want our trail of conversation archived now, while it happens,
and not subject to any sort of retroactive tomfoolery by the feds
under the bed.

I'd also probably add the capcity to publish messages there, maybe
comings and goings at the space? A way for the security system to
let us know the game is afoot?

Anyway. Opinions?

- Allen S. Rout

Chris Allen Lane

Jan 1, 2018, 12:47:11 AM1/1/18
to gainesville...@googlegroups.com
I've written a handful of Slack bots in the past for work and such. If
we could spec out the functionality that we'd like implemented, I could
probably bang it out in a few hours, as long as it wasn't hugely ambitious.

With that said, Slack is quite popular, and there are a lot of
open-source integration options already available. We may be able to
find something pre-existing that suits our needs.

Happy Near Year, hackers!

Chris Allen Lane

@chrisallenlane
chris-allen-lane.com
keybase.io/chrisallenlane
signature.asc

Jason Monsorno

Jan 1, 2018, 1:16:16 AM1/1/18
to gainesville...@googlegroups.com
Happy new year!

Also, just a friendly FYI -or a few- because I experienced this recently, the free slack limits the number of add-ons you can have, combined number of DIY and 3rd party ones per team. The number is based on API keys so all your DIY ones can share a key. Also you don't need your own private team to test, you can set the channel to your @username and just message yourself.

Best of luck,
Jason

Christopher Hoffman

Jan 1, 2018, 2:37:56 PM1/1/18
to gainesville...@googlegroups.com
Love the idea of a repeater. Not that I'm concerned about slack going under, or losing an archive of conversations, but I'm all for people wanting to keep up-to-date to give them that ability.

As a non-profit, we have the full paid Slack (at no cost to us), which means we do not have limits to the number of slack bots or apps we can have. If you would like to make (or add a preexisting one), I'd be happy to give you the permissions needed to do so. Would be awesome to see some home-grown slackbots floating around.

Brian Bartholomew

Jan 1, 2018, 5:08:09 PM1/1/18
to gainesville...@googlegroups.com
> The muckety mucks of the space are conducting a lot of conversation
> on the slack channel, about which I'm of two minds. It seems to be
> flowing really nicely, which is good. The move was coordinated
> pretty darn nicely, and we just (just!) chipped in to buy a tool.

I was totally unaware of that.

> I'd also probably add the capcity to publish messages there, maybe
> comings and goings at the space?

I don't like that, for the same reasons I don't leave a cell phone
trail all over town. I make a big bright distinction between a card
reader log kept locally to hackerspace, and a log published to our
permanent records for all time.

Brian

Christopher Hoffman

Jan 1, 2018, 5:25:30 PM1/1/18
to gainesville...@googlegroups.com
>>> I don't like that, for the same reasons I don't leave a cell phone
trail all over town.  I make a big bright distinction between a card
reader log kept locally to hackerspace, and a log published to our
permanent records for all time.

I'd like to think of it as something a member could opt in/out at will, with those messages being kept in a member-only slack channel not repeated to public record. I for one would love to let people know when I'm at the space, without me having to post a message of "hey everyone, I just arrived to the space" every time. But I'd feel weird with it posted to the public without personal control.

Luckily, that would be easy to do once we get the card reader logging somewhere off the arduino.

Brian Bartholomew

Jan 1, 2018, 6:55:49 PM1/1/18
to gainesville...@googlegroups.com
> with those messages being kept in a member-only slack channel not repeated to public record.

If it's in the cloud, it's in the public record. Instead, how about doing the breakout on our
Pi with something like an email forwarding you control? Or if not email then whatever
code-driven client for whatever service.

Brian

Brian Bartholomew

Jan 1, 2018, 7:03:04 PM1/1/18
to gainesville...@googlegroups.com
A Caesar, Napoleon, or Hitler doesn't achieve power by being elected
by voters who on average want to LARP _1984_. Instead, dictators
conquer and displace the existing moderate elected officials, then
retcon the claim to popular support using control of the media. Thus,
the claim that this population here and now which doesn't want a
dictator and will never want one, which is true, is beside the point.

> 7E9/100E6
[1] 70

Thank you, R, for allowing notation for large numbers which is more
resistant to typos. If 1 in 100 million human beings has the mental
capacity to be Hitler, that's 70 exotically capable, James Bond-level
human beings whose continual plotting need to be guarded against.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Privilege_escalation

A privilege escalation attack becomes more practical as power is
concentrated. In military analysis terms, tracking like cell phone
data, door card swipes, cameras inside the space, is military
intelligence in the same category as gun registration.

Here's a prediction that the federal and state government bankruptcies
could be recognized this year. Do you think the chaos of bankruptcy
might present an opportunity for a coup? It did in Germany.

https://market-ticker.org/akcs-www?singlepost=3434067

Cameras at the outside door. Cameras inside the space. Door entry
logs published to the world. Buddy required to use big tools. Don't
paddle your canoe up to the edge of Niagara falls. Not even if in the
short-term, zoomed-in view it appears safe, or convenient, or solves
an administration problem. Stay well back from the edge and bad
things won't have the opportunity to happen.

Brian

Brian Bartholomew

Jan 1, 2018, 7:51:25 PM1/1/18
to gainesville...@googlegroups.com
> that's 70 exotically capable, James Bond-level human beings whose
> continual plotting need to be guarded against.

With 7 billion human beings, half of which can pick up a phone and
talk to each other, everything is long tail. This feels ridiculous
because your instincts for keeping your 200 member tribe safe from
lions and crocodiles didn't evolve exposed to this selection pressure.

Brian

Frank

Jan 1, 2018, 7:54:50 PM1/1/18
to gainesville...@googlegroups.com
We just chipped in to by a tool? What did we chip in to buy?

Frank

Sent from my iPad

Joseph DiPietro

Jan 1, 2018, 8:01:05 PM1/1/18
to gainesville...@googlegroups.com

A  British Standard Whitworth Nerf Herder.

Frank

Jan 1, 2018, 9:40:16 PM1/1/18
to gainesville...@googlegroups.com
How about we have button members can press within so many seconds of swiping their card that sends out the "I'm here" notification if they so choose.

Frank

Sent from my iPad

Allen Rout

Jan 2, 2018, 9:56:56 PM1/2/18
to gainesville...@googlegroups.com
Rational. So maybe an easy way for folks to advertise, as opposed to
something autonomic.

- Allen S. Rout

Allen Rout

Jan 2, 2018, 9:58:21 PM1/2/18
On Mon, Jan 1, 2018 at 8:00 PM, Joseph DiPietro <rfeng...@gmail.com> wrote:
> A British Standard Whitworth Nerf Herder.

LEFT HAND THREAD!

- Allen S. Rout

Allen Rout

Jan 2, 2018, 9:58:40 PM1/2/18
On Mon, Jan 1, 2018 at 9:40 PM, Frank <lowry...@gmail.com> wrote:
> How about we have button members can press within so many seconds of swiping their card that sends out the "I'm here" notification if they so choose.

I like it.

- Allen S. Rout

Brian Bartholomew

Jan 3, 2018, 1:16:26 AM1/3/18
to gainesville...@googlegroups.com
> How about we have buttons members can press within so many seconds of
> swiping their card that sends out the "I'm here" notification if
> they so choose.

1. Announce me to Twitter
2. Announce me to Facebook
3. Announce me to APRS
4. Phone my spouse
5. Order a pizza
6. I'm a Kardashian, do it all!

Brian

Robert Munyer

Jan 3, 2018, 6:43:57 PM1/3/18
to Gainesville Hackerspace
Brian Bartholomew wrote:

> A Caesar, Napoleon, or Hitler doesn't achieve power by being
> elected by voters who on average want to LARP _1984_.

One was stabbed, one was exiled, one killed himself.

The next occupant of the niche that those three men occupied may
be not a person but a SPOLA (a "steaming pile of linear algebra").

When you're being oppressed by a Spola, you can't just stab it.
You can't exile it, you probably can't convince it to terminate
itself. You can't count on it eventually dying of old age.

-- Robert