Dumb newbie questions follow on.

tom watson

Apr 21, 2014, 10:53:38 AM4/21/14
to fvwmnig...@googlegroups.com
I just found that  in my home directory .fwwm-nightshade was owned by root.   Changed owner to me and restarted.   Now it seem that
FvwmScript-PersonalMenu is not all blank.   So I am somewhat on my way
still need xrandr to over and under screens.

I copied my .fvwm2rc file from .fvwmrc  to .fvwm-nightshade
Menu configs etc seems to be working.
but it found something called files,  it start nautilus.  that kills my mouse button popups.
I use
ps aux | sort -r -n 9 | head -20  to see the last started processes.   find what looks to be the bad guy and kill it.
then I get the mouse window popups back.

Is there an equivalent summary .fvwm2rc file.  How do I add my own stuff, where.

​tom watson.​

--
PHONE 203 681-5873
CELL 603 459-4052

Thomas Funk

Apr 21, 2014, 3:58:07 PM4/21/14
Am 21.04.2014 16:53, schrieb tom watson:
> I just found that in my home directory .fwwm-nightshade was owned by root. Changed owner to me and restarted. Now it seem that
> FvwmScript-PersonalMenu is not all blank. So I am somewhat on my way
> still need xrandr to over and under screens.

See my answers to your last post. I think the complete configuration is messed up because your call
$> xinit `which fvwm-nightshade`
has mixed configuration parts from FVWM and FNS ....

> I copied my .fvwm2rc file from .fvwmrc to .fvwm-nightshade
> Menu configs etc seems to be working.
> but it found something called files, it start nautilus. that kills my mouse button popups.
> I use
> ps aux | sort -r -n 9 | head -20 to see the last started processes. find what looks to be the bad guy and kill it.
> then I get the mouse window popups back.

Yes, nautilus have to be started without session amangement because than it draws the GNOME or XFCE desktop :-S

> Is there an equivalent summary .fvwm2rc file.

You find the system wide FNS config under /usr/local/share/fvwm-nightshade/config or under /usr/share/fvwm-nightshade.

You can copying it into the ~/.fvwm-nightshade folder. After a restart FNS will use the local one. The same is with all
other files in the system folder. If you copy it into the local FNS folder these files are used because local configs
have priority than system wide configs.

> How do I add my own stuff, where.

It depends. What stuff do you mean? As I know I can tell where to put.

Best,
Thomas

Thomas Funk

Apr 21, 2014, 4:05:12 PM4/21/14
Am 21.04.2014 21:58, schrieb Thomas Funk:
> You can copying it into the ~/.fvwm-nightshade folder.

Aahh, wait ... don't copy the following parts from the system directory:
- fns-init
- .settings
- .FvwmForm-Desktop-Config

-- Thomas --

tom watson

Apr 21, 2014, 8:45:52 PM4/21/14
to fvwmnig...@googlegroups.com
I've done part of what you said.   things were weird.   I am writing this in gmail in my xp box and working the linux box,.
I just did a full reboot.  using startx mod xinitrc did not work.  startx fvwm or startx fvwm-nightshade does come up.
but had weird operations.   so I rebooted.

I had foujd a problem with a simple gedit of a file.  hints led me to some /run/..... file that was owned by root.  my normal user setup is watson.users.
did a chown watson.users   then problem message changed to fns something.  I just did a ls -l of /usr/local/Fnwm-Nightsahade-0.6.8/fns-install_0.6.8.lst  and found fns-install_0.6.8.lst is also owned by root.root.

xinit fvwm or fvwm-night shade got rid of weird but still had funny edit problem
NOTE:   I changed the softlink of ~/.fvwm-nightshade/.
lrwxrwxrwx  1 watson users    54 Apr 21 10:27 .layout -> /usr/local/bin/../share/fvwm-nightshade/layouts/G2like

copied my .fvwm2rc file to ~/.fvwm-nightshade/.

fvwm-night shade startx just like fvwm,  but had window hints like nightshade.

I then returned links and nightshade starts.    I am working on list of how to fix.

I am still starting xinit which `fvwm-nightshade`   I did fix fns-.... onership.

I looked at xinitrc   I apt-get twm.   I can startx fvwm or nightshade, but I cannot start an xterm or a terminal
that is part of the weird.

so I'll reboot, ok I start fvwm or fvwm-nightshade with xinit `which ....`
The menu xterm shown starts in fvwm and terminal starts in fvwm-nightshade.

AddToMenu RootMenu "Menu 3.11.0-18-generic" Title + "XTerm" Exec exec xterm -sb -sl 2000

but after I attempt startx fvwm or fvwm-nightshade  the above command flashes xterm and it dies.

Same with terminal in fvwm-nightshade.

but  fvwm menu items where there is a -e su user asks for password and lives with correct password.
+ "XTerm root" Exec exec xterm -sb -sl 2000 -bg "pale green" -fg black -geometry +50+1335 -e su -m

that's it for now.

tom watson.

PS I be sending along a description of the other oddball stuff concerning starting with vertical displays.
fvwm and fvwm-nightshade do basically the same thing.

Thomas Funk

Apr 22, 2014, 2:39:21 PM4/22/14
tom watson wrote:
> I've done part of what you said. things were weird. I am writing this in gmail in my xp box and working the linux box,.
> I just did a full reboot. using startx mod xinitrc did not work. startx fvwm or startx fvwm-nightshade does come up.
> but had weird operations. so I rebooted.
>

> I had foujd a problem with a simple gedit of a file. hints led me to some /run/..... file that was owned by root. my normal user setup is watson.users.
> did a chown watson.users then problem message changed to fns something. I just did a ls -l of /usr/local/Fnwm-Nightsahade-0.6.8/fns-install_0.6.8.lst and found fns-install_0.6.8.lst is also owned by root.root.

fns-install_0.6.8.lst is for deinstallation. There're all files listed which were installed.
As you go into the FNS package folder where the Makefile is located and do (as root)
#> make uninstall
it will deinstalling all files from this list.

But I wonder what you have set on the make install command. Per default FNS will be installed in
/usr/local/fvwm-nightshade/ and most of the executables under /usr/local/bin/. And all FvwmScript
and FvwmForm files in the fvwm directory (mostly /usr/share/fvwm/).

But you wrote "/usr/local/Fvwm-Nightshade-0.6.8/" ... this could make problems because in the fvwm-nightshade
executable the following is hardcoded:
initfile=`dirname ${0}`/../share/fvwm-nightshade/fns-init

fns-init is used to set a pre configuration with important function like the load function ...

> xinit fvwm or fvwm-night shade got rid of weird but still had funny edit problem
> NOTE: I changed the softlink of ~/.fvwm-nightshade/.
>
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 watson users 54 Apr 21 10:27 .layout -> /usr/local/bin/../share/fvwm-nightshade/layouts/G2like
>
> copied my .fvwm2rc file to ~/.fvwm-nightshade/.
>

> fvwm-night shade startx just like fvwm, but had window hints like nightshade.
>
> I then returned links and nightshade starts. I am working on list of how to fix.
>
> I am still starting xinit which `fvwm-nightshade` I did fix fns-.... onership.
>

> I looked at xinitrc I apt-get twm. I can startx fvwm or nightshade, but I cannot start an xterm or a terminal
>
> that is part of the weird.
>
> so I'll reboot, ok I start fvwm or fvwm-nightshade with xinit `which ....`
>
> The menu xterm shown starts in fvwm and terminal starts in fvwm-nightshade.
>

> AddToMenu RootMenu "Menu 3.11.0-18-generic" Title
> + "XTerm" Exec exec xterm -sb -sl 2000
>
> but after I attempt startx fvwm or fvwm-nightshade the above command flashes xterm and it dies.
>
> Same with terminal in fvwm-nightshade.
>

> but fvwm menu items where there is a -e su user asks for password and lives with correct password.
> + "XTerm root" Exec exec xterm -sb -sl 2000 -bg "pale green" -fg black -geometry +50+1335 -e su -m
>

> that's it for now.
>
> tom watson.
>
> PS I be sending along a description of the other oddball stuff concerning starting with vertical displays.
>
> fvwm and fvwm-nightshade do basically the same thing.

Oh my goodness ... what a odyssey !! :-/

-- Thomas --