Re: [Futures] Deprecated promisify and subscribify

AJ ONeal

Oct 25, 2010, 9:43:14 PM10/25/10
to futures-j...@googlegroups.com

I realized that they were the kind of functions that no one who knows enough about JS to be investigating Futures would likely find that helpful.

It was more of an excercise to try to write a directive-based function wrapper... I may try again to complete the excercise, but it probably has little practical value.

AJ

Sent from my Google Android

On Oct 23, 2010 3:59 PM, "Tauren Mills" <tau...@tauren.com> wrote:
> AJ,
>
> Nice to hear you're deprecating promisify and subsribify as well. Now that
> you mention them, it seems they were more functions I thought I would never
> use.
>
> Tauren
>

> On Sat, Oct 23, 2010 at 12:40 PM, Robert Navarro <crs...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Thanks for the tips AJ! I'll study it and look it over.
>>

>> On Sat, Oct 23, 2010 at 7:46 AM, AJ ONeal <cool...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Try this:
>>> http://gist.github.com/642253
>>>
>>> I rewrote your code twice: once just how you had it, another time more
>>> like I might have written it if I weren't trying to debug it so much.
>>>
>>> I would recommend not using "promisify()" and "subscribify". In fact, I
>>> removed them from the documentation just now.
>>>
>>> I was trying to make an argument wrapper that worked well for things like
>>> jQuery that have the arguments in an unpredictable order... but it failed.
>>>
>>> Sorry about that.
>>>
>>> Also, I posted the snippet in the node-examples directory on future's
>>> github.
>>>
>>> AJ ONeal

>>> --
>>> Please use prefixes: [Pony] Feature requests, [TestCase] Test cases, [Bug]
>>> if you're lazy. If you have contract work or position for FuturesJS devs,
>>> prefix [Bounty] or [Job].
>>> -----
>>>

>> --
>> Robert Navarro
>>
>> --
>> Please use prefixes: [Pony] Feature requests, [TestCase] Test cases, [Bug]
>> if you're lazy. If you have contract work or position for FuturesJS devs,
>> prefix [Bounty] or [Job].
>> -----
>>

> --
> Please use prefixes: [Pony] Feature requests, [TestCase] Test cases, [Bug] if you're lazy. If you have contract work or position for FuturesJS devs, prefix [Bounty] or [Job].
> -----

Tauren Mills

Oct 25, 2010, 10:16:09 PM10/25/10
to futures-j...@googlegroups.com
AJ,

Ok, that makes sense. From my standpoint, I'd like the library to be as lightweight as possible, but still maintain a robust an API.  I'm using this in a browser environment and need to save every byte I can! So it would be great if you can remove the features that are unlikely to be used, but keep the core that makes FuturesJS a comprehensive and robust solution.

Keep up the great work! I'm still interested to learn more about your Triforce project. Have you given any thought to using these new official plugins for templating, data linking, and localization?

Tauren

AJ ONeal

Oct 26, 2010, 4:37:05 AM10/26/10
to futures-j...@googlegroups.com
If you check the latest version (0.9.8) on github I just added a packed version.

futures.all.min.js and it's only 7K.
Gzip it and it's only 3.6K

The development version without the deprecated stuff is 26K (10K lighter)

As for Triforce, things are coming along, but I'm still finishing up with CopyCat.
There's some stuff on Github, but I've done more that isn't committed yet.

I believe that I found a better template solution. I'm using CSS3 selectors to scaffold the HTML, attach events, and scrape data.

Give me another few weeks, and I think I'll have something interesting to show.

AJ ONeal

Tauren Mills

Oct 28, 2010, 10:52:02 PM10/28/10
to futures-j...@googlegroups.com
If you check the latest version (0.9.8) on github I just added a packed version.

futures.all.min.js and it's only 7K.
Gzip it and it's only 3.6K

The development version without the deprecated stuff is 26K (10K lighter)

That's great! Reducing the size by 30% will really help. And I'm glad to see you are providing a minified version as well. What did you use to minify it? Did you try google closure compiler?

As for Triforce, things are coming along, but I'm still finishing up with CopyCat.
There's some stuff on Github, but I've done more that isn't committed yet.

I believe that I found a better template solution. I'm using CSS3 selectors to scaffold the HTML, attach events, and scrape data.

Give me another few weeks, and I think I'll have something interesting to show.

I look forward to seeing it.

Tauren