Some examples

Tauren Mills

Dec 9, 2010, 6:32:30 PM12/9/10
to futures-j...@googlegroups.com
I posted an answer on StackOverflow for someone asking about ordering ajax calls in an application and included some samples of using FuturesJS. Thought I'd post it here in case it interests anyone...

Tauren

AJ ONeal

Dec 11, 2010, 10:51:46 AM12/11/10
to futures-j...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Tauren.

BTW, about that template system I was talking about:

I wasn't able to find a good pattern that generically fit well for what I was trying to do and I had some more pressing work take me away from it.

AJ ONeal

--
Please use prefixes: [Pony] Feature requests, [TestCase] Test cases, [Bug] if you're lazy. If you have contract work or position for FuturesJS devs, prefix [Bounty] or [Job].
-----

Tauren Mills

Dec 11, 2010, 11:07:11 PM12/11/10
to futures-j...@googlegroups.com
AJ,

I'm not sure how much progress you've made on your other projects, but I've found something that almost exactly matches what I want to do. I thought you'd like to take a look at it:

The key thing it provides is event driven models with data bindings to UI components. But it also helps with controllers, views, routes, history, and much more. Basically all the things I wanted my custom implementation to do, but I only got about 60% completed.

I haven't actually used it yet, so I'm not sure what types of limitations it may have. But I've read all of the documentation and am very excited to give it a spin. If I could just find a little extra time!

Also, it looks like you can plugin whatever templating solution you want into it. That's a big plus!

Tauren

CoolAJ86

Jan 13, 2011, 12:30:58 PM1/13/11
to futures-j...@googlegroups.com
Did you try out backbone yet?

What did you think?

AJ ONeal

Tauren Mills

Jan 13, 2011, 4:57:33 PM1/13/11
to futures-j...@googlegroups.com

I've been using it for a few days now prototyping a new feature of my app. So far its been really great, although I'm currently trying to work out the best way to deal with model relationships (models that contain other models or collections).

I would highly recommend you try it out. Its made by DocumentCloud who makes underscore.js, is an open source project on github, has decent docs and an active irc channel, and seems to be quickly gaining traction. Its been called a lightweight alternative to sproutcore, cappicino, and javascriptmvc.

The biggest issue I have with it is that it lacks more sophisticated example apps. Its hard to determine how to go from a simple todo app with a single model type and a single collection to a full blown app with dozens of models types and collections, all of which are inter-related.

Tauren