accessing archived log files

Ben

Jun 14, 2015, 10:38:39 AM6/14/15
to fusion...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I have logging set to 31 days and have never had to go back and look at a prior day's activity.  Now I do and am not sure how to access the zipped log file.  ?

Thanks!

--Ben

John Hawksley

Jun 16, 2015, 11:17:19 AM6/16/15
to fusion...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ben,

There are two ways to do this:

1)  Go directly through the FusionReactor Archive (/FusionReactor/instance/YOUR_INSTANCE/archive/).

The archive is split into YYYYMMDD folders, and each archive consists of a zip and a properties file describing when that archive was generated.  The archives have UUID names to make them unique across a cluster of FusionReactor instances.

The easiest way to find the right archive is to use the “Last Modified Time” of the file to find the one that contains the logs you’re interested in.

2) Use the FusionReactor Logging > Log Archive viewer.

This contains a date picker and day-backward and day-forward arrows so you can find the zip containing the log you want.  The archives in the Archive Viewer have more logical names.  When you’ve located the archive you want, use the ‘book’ icon to get more information on it — the first line will be its full filename and location on disk, which you can then open.

Hope that helps,
-John

John Hawksley
Senior Software Engineer

www.intergral.com • www.fusion-reactor.com

Intergral GmbH • Schickardstr 32 • D-71034 Böblingen • Germany
Geschäftsführer/Directors: David Tattersall, Darren Pywell
Sitz der Gesellschaft/Registration District: Böblingen - Germany

Charlie Arehart

Jun 17, 2015, 1:35:46 PM6/17/15
to fusion...@googlegroups.com

Hey John (asking on-list), about your discussion of log viewing, I wonder if some may read your point 2 and think that it allows them to view the logs themselves this way. Sadly it does not.

To that point, can you let us know the likelihood that the FR interface might someday provide for folks to at least download the zips interactively? :-) Some folks work on servers where getting access to the file system is tough (or may be impossible.) And some have their servers running on *nix, and perhaps they may not be comfortable with getting around there, extracting zips on the server, etc.

If that Log Archive page might simply offer a “download” button, it could help many, I’m sure.

And seems should not be too tough to add. To be clear (for readers following along), since the logs are not web accessible, we’re not just talking about adding a link but using a server action that would send the file down with the appropriate zip mime type (the equivalent of cfcontent, in CFML parlance), to be saved on the client computer and viewed via its OS unzip/file viewing tools.

And that means I also am not asking about any sort of full-fledged web-based viewer, which I know has its own challenges given that some of the logs could be large (and would need to be unzipped then on the server to be viewed with such a tool).

I’d be happy if we could just “walk” toward the logs this way, before “running” with them. :-) Any thoughts appreciated.

/charlie

Neil Wightman

Jun 18, 2015, 6:18:21 AM6/18/15
to fusion...@googlegroups.com
Hi Charlie.

FR does support downloading from the archive page.

You need to add
archive.downloadable=true
into the reactor.conf file.

This setting is available from the UI.

Regards,
Neil

Neil Wightman
Senior Software Engineer
Email: neil_w...@intergral.com
Company Web http://www.intergral.com

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential and may be protected by legal privilege. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender and delete the e-mail from your system. This e-mail has been scanned for malicious content but the internet is inherently insecure and Intergral GmbH cannot accept any liability for the integrity of this message or its attachments.

Charlie Arehart

Jun 18, 2015, 10:10:48 AM6/18/15
to fusion...@googlegroups.com

Oh, that’s wonderful. I’m sorry that I’ve missed it all this time. :-)

And if anyone reading is wondering, I see now that this is mentioned as having been added in 5.0.0, as shown in the release notes doc (which tracks changes for all point release since 5.0.0, at http://www.fusion-reactor.com/support/kb/frs-314/), where it notes “Add log archive download link in FR UI” (but no other info).

I did some more digging and found this 2012 technote, http://www.fusion-reactor.com/support/kb/frs-301/, which does details the process of adding that conf file line (and restarting CF or whatever you’re monitoring).

Very nice. I suppose the decision to not enable the downloading by default was a nod to security. I kind of wonder if the better default (since one must log into FR to get to that page) would have been to default to it being enabled, with this option to disable it if desired. But I’m sure it was discussed and debated back then, and this was the decision made. If you may be open to revisiting it, it may help many who might never have known there was such an option. :-)

Again, though, thanks for it being there at all, and for the pointer, Neil. :-)

/charlie

image001.gif

Neil Wightman

Jun 18, 2015, 11:32:57 AM6/18/15
to fusion...@googlegroups.com
Hi Charlie,

I agree that the default should be on by default and then have a flag to disable it.

I'll talk to the team about getting it changed :)

Regards,
Neil

Charlie Arehart

Jun 18, 2015, 11:53:54 AM6/18/15
to fusion...@googlegroups.com

Cool, sir. Thanks for considering it. :-)

/charlie

PS And I assume you meant, “and have THE flag to disable it”, as it’s already there of course. We’re just talking about flipping the default value. No reply necessary.