FusionReactor start agent without listening

Christoph Witzany

Mar 17, 2015, 1:39:00 PM3/17/15
to fusion...@googlegroups.com
Hi!

Please excuse when I missed a topic or did not find it in the docs.

- Is it possible to monitor a server with the java agent without opening a port?
- How would I send the monitoring data to a central FRAM server?

thx
Christoph

Darren Pywell

Mar 17, 2015, 6:47:21 PM3/17/15
to fusion...@googlegroups.com
Hi Christoph,

You can also talk to FusionReactor directly via the web port (typically port 80):

You would enter the following URL into FRAM on the Manage Server page:

ColdFusion server:
http://<ipaddress>/fusionreactor.cfm

JSP + Servlet server:
http://<ipaddress>/fusionreactor.jsp
or
http://<ipaddress>/fusionreactor

To disable the internal port (e.g. 8088) you would need to remove the ,address=8088 option from the -javaagent option in the JVM settings.

For example:

-javaagent:/Applications/FusionReactor/instance/jboss1/fusionreactor.jar=name=jboss1

When FusionReactor starts up you will see a message in the standard out like:

INFO FusionReactor FW: Bootstrap: Ascending to runlevel 2

[INFO] Jetty not started (HTTP and HTTPS disabled)

Note that FusionReactor is accessible via the website

Hope that helps,
Darren
Fusion Team

Charlie Arehart

Mar 17, 2015, 8:47:00 PM3/17/15
to fusion...@googlegroups.com

To add to Darren’s comment, someone might read Christoph’s question, “Is it possible to monitor a server with the java agent without opening a port?” a little differently (or may see Darren’s answer and wonder): “is it possible to access the FR interface without needing to open its port in the firewall”. It is, but it requires a slight variation in the URL Darren offered.

If one wanted to access the FR interface (in their browser) this way (without using the FR built-in web server port, but rather by way of their external web server), then they would need to add /findex.htm to the URL offered, as in (for CF servers):

http://<ipaddress>/fusionreactor.cfm/findex.htm

Again, Darren was offering the URL as would be to put into FRAM’s “Manage Server” page, which does typically end in /fusionreactor, and that’s why he showed his URL ending in just fusionreactor.cfm. If you try that in your browser, you may get something (as I do in IIS) saying, “FORBIDDEN: Reading file failed.” :-)

Hope that’s helpful.

/charlie

You can also talk to FusionReactor directly via the web port (typically port 80):

You would enter the following URL into FRAM on the Manage Server page:

ColdFusion server:

<snip>

Christoph Witzany

Mar 19, 2015, 8:23:57 AM3/19/15
to fusion...@googlegroups.com
Thank you! That's great to hear.

As to my second question:

How would I configure the agents on the servers appserver[1..9].example.com to deliver their metrics to fram.example.com?

As I'm looking at a deployment with 40+ app servers I need a central instance to present all the data centrally.

Christoph Witzany

Mar 19, 2015, 8:27:50 AM3/19/15
to fusion...@googlegroups.com
Got the answer already from support. You ad <hostname>/fusionreactor as url when you add a server in the management interface.