FR instance install problem

Joe L

Jul 2, 2015, 9:57:49 AM7/2/15
to fusion...@googlegroups.com
Greetings.
I have a Windows 2008 web server, IIS 7, Coldfusion 9.0.2, FusionReactor ENT Edition V5.2.5. A power outage 2 days ago brought the server down and when it came back up I was unable to connect to 2 of 6  FR instances on that server. After looking around I restarted the FR AM service which brought up FR instance 1, instance 2 I could not connect to. I removed FR instance 2 from within the Instance manager in FRAM. FRAM's instance manager recognized the CF instance so it displayed it in the instance manager. I tried configuring a FR instance for that CFinstance. During the configuration steps I selected to edit the config file manually, I copy/pasted the line to go into the config file, and proceeded. The install process did restart the CF instance but I got error saying

We are unable to start the server. This may be due to a permissions problem.

The CF instance did actually start up. Upon clicking the confirm button I get a green message saying success and it redisplays the instance manager with the new FR instance being "Stopped". That new instance has the correct instance name and IP:port combo but it displays the red Stopped button.

The CF Window service is actually running. The new FR instance directory exists and in it are 3 files fusionreactor.fram_target, fusionreactor.jar, fusionreactor.password.

Anyone know what I need to do at this point to get it configured and working?

Thanks in advance.

Joe

Joe L

Jul 2, 2015, 10:13:34 AM7/2/15
to fusion...@googlegroups.com
I restarted FRAM and  looked in the FRAM log and found this message

2015-07-02 10:04:38.815 Retrieving metrics from http://IP:PORT/fusionreactor/fService.cfm?command=remoting&subcommand=transfer&data=metrics&json: Invalid FR URL: No data retrieved

Not sure where to go from here to resolve this.

Joe

John Hawksley

Jul 2, 2015, 10:36:50 AM7/2/15
to fusion...@googlegroups.com
Hi Joe,

The three files you see in the instance folder are placed there by FRAM prior to the instance starting for the first time.  The instance reads these on its first startup in order to set up its initial configuration.  The fact that they’re still there indicates FR hasn’t started in that instance yet.  The error in FRAM’s log suggests that there’s no instance for it to connect to - which ties in with that.

Coupled with the permissions problem, it would seem FRAM is running as a different user to the user running your CF instance.  When it placed these files, the FusionReactor instance (which is running inside ColdFusion, as the same user ColdFusion runs as) can’t read them.

I would say the simplest solution would be:

- Find out which user your CF Server is running as (you can check this in the Services control panel)
- Change the ownership of your FusionReactor instance directory (which contains these three files)  and the three files themselves to be owned by that user.

I think that should get you off the ground :-)

We do have an article about this in our documentation library, which might help:

-John

John Hawksley
Senior Software Engineer

www.intergral.com • www.fusion-reactor.com

Intergral GmbH • Schickardstr 32 • D-71034 Böblingen • Germany
Geschäftsführer/Directors: David Tattersall, Darren Pywell
Sitz der Gesellschaft/Registration District: Böblingen - Germany

Joe L

Jul 2, 2015, 11:04:58 AM7/2/15
to fusion...@googlegroups.com
Hi John,

Thanks for the reply. I checked the owner of the CF Windows service and it matches the owner of the FR instance folder and all files under it. That is the strange part. I would think if it were a permissions problem the instance folder would not have been created and the files not copied to that folder. Still looking around ...

Joe

Joe L

Jul 2, 2015, 11:08:00 AM7/2/15
to fusion...@googlegroups.com
What web server does FR use and where are the files for it, ie. logs, config ...?

John Hawksley

Jul 2, 2015, 11:19:45 AM7/2/15
to fusion...@googlegroups.com
Hi Joe,

Both FRAM (on port 8087) and FR instances (on port 8088 and up) use their own internal webservers which are managed by FR itself. The logs for these are in:

\FusionReactor\instances\<INSTANCE_NAME or fram>\logs\<DATETIME>\

They generally log to “reactor.log”.

For troubleshooting FR startup, what might also be su the console of the Java process (for CF9 these will be in \ColdFusion9\runtime\logs).

-John

Ajas Mohammed

Jul 2, 2015, 7:28:38 PM7/2/15
to fusion...@googlegroups.com

Joe,

Did you get it resolved? I'm curious...

Joe L

Jul 7, 2015, 2:58:45 PM7/7/15
to fusion...@googlegroups.com
AjasHadi,

This hasnot been resolved yet :( I am emailing FR support and they are providing good ideas for things to check but everything looks correct at this point. I really want to avoid having to completely uninstall & reinstall FR. I will post if/when this gets resolved.

Joe

Ajas Mohammed

Jul 7, 2015, 5:28:47 PM7/7/15
to fusion...@googlegroups.com
Hmm, well if I have time, we could try a short webex or something, only if you want to. I understand if there are any contractual obligations.

These mysteries makes me go crazy until a solution is found.
<Ajas Mohammed />
iUseDropbox(http://db.tt/63Lvone9)
http://ajashadi.blogspot.com
We cannot become what we need to be, remaining what we are.
No matter what, find a way. Because thats what winners do.
You can't improve what you don't measure.
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Joe L

Jul 14, 2015, 9:30:38 AM7/14/15
to fusion...@googlegroups.com
The resolution is to reinstall Fusion Reactor completely. Not was I was looking for but recommended.
Message has been deleted

Joe L

Jul 21, 2015, 3:29:50 PM7/21/15
to FusionReactor

Well, I finally was able to install the FR instance successfully. I had previously removed the instance from the instance manager. I tried a number of times to install the instance in FRAM on the server to no avail. I tried again and this time and it worked. I installed it the same way I tried in the past, manually updating the config file and letting it restart the service. I'm not going to look into why it worked this time but not the others, just glad it is working.

Joe