Connecting to Oracle 12 with Oracle Thin Driver and FusionReactor Wrapper

C. Schmitz

Oct 9, 2014, 10:55:43 AM10/9/14
to fusion...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

we are connecting to an Oracle 12 data source with the oracle thin driver. On instances that do NOT have FR installed, it's working like a charm.

Here are the jdbc urls we have had success with if FR is not installed:
jdbc:oracle:thin:@HOSTNAME:PORT:SERVICE
jdbc:oracle:thin:@(description=(address=(host=HOSTNAME)(protocol=tcp)(port=PORT))(connect_data=(server=DEDICATED)(service_name=service)))

With both urls we can connect to our database.

However, as soon as FR is involved, the data sources refuses to verify and always throws an error "java.sql.SQLException: Timed out trying to establish connection"

We tried adding additional parameters (taken from the FR 5.1 documentation):
(__fusionreactor_name=orclthin)(__fusionreactor_rowlimit=10000)

Still verifying the datasource always results in the error mentioned above.

Our systems are running CF10 on Linux. One with Java 6 and one with Java 7. Java version does not seem to make a difference, though. We have tried FR 5.1 and FR 5.2.3

So, are we missing something? Does the FR wrapper support Oracle 12 at all? Anything else we should try?

Thanks in advance,

Chris

Charlie Arehart

Oct 9, 2014, 10:44:23 PM10/9/14
to fusion...@googlegroups.com

Hi Chris (long, long time no talk! Is this the same Chris Schmitz from Germany who’d been in the CF community for many years?)

I’m not aware of any limitation with Oracle 12, but perhaps the engineers will chime in.

In the meantime, can you confirm that you get the problem even when you do NOT add those parameters? And when you do, you don’t use those parentheses, right?

/charlie

Darren Pywell

Feb 4, 2015, 11:15:15 AM2/4/15
to fusion...@googlegroups.com
Hi Chris,

We recently had this problem come up and I came across this post and realized that it had slipped through the cracks.

The issue could be that you need to have the Oracle PKI provider in the CF lib folder.

Some things that I did notice are:
  • I needed to have an Oracle PKI driver to get the Oracle driver to work (attached)
  • I had to place the ojdbc jar and the attached pki-provider-1.4.2_04.jar the lib folder
  • I used expanded syntax for the driver (although that is probably not necessary).

jdbc:oracle:thin:@(DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)(HOST=10.0.0.176)(PORT=1521))(CONNECT_DATA=(SID=cdb1)(__fusionreactor_noautogeneratedkeys=true)))

Note: I disabled Autogenerated keys using the (__fusionreactor_noautogeneratedkeys=true) but it did not cause a problem with without or without as long as I didn't require autogenerated keys

If you cannot get the driver to work but still would like to use FusionReactor to track everything else you can disable the datasource from being tracked using:

jdbc:oracle:thin:@(DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)(HOST=10.0.0.176)(PORT=1521))(CONNECT_DATA=(SID=cdb1)(__fusionreactor_exclude=true)))

Hope that helps,
Darren
pki-provider-1.4.2_04.jar