Installing FusionReactor on Railo alongside ACF Instance on CentOS

Jamie Jackson

Jan 7, 2015, 5:05:00 PM1/7/15
to fusion...@googlegroups.com
Hi Folks,

I'm migrating a site from ACF to Railo, and I've got the ACF version already monitored with FR.

Now, I'd like to monitor the new Railo site that lives alongside it. What's the appropriate way to do this?

Is the Railo extension route the best way to get this going? Also, if it's on the same box, will I need/use the same license key as ACF?

Thanks,
Jamie

Brad Wood

Jan 7, 2015, 5:24:09 PM1/7/15
to fusionreactor
As far as logistics, just edit the Java agent bit to use a different port for Railo.  As far as licensing, I think it's just one license per server no matter how many JVMs, but I'm not 100% sure if that includes multiple CFML engines.

Thanks!

~Brad

ColdBox Platform Evangelist
Ortus Solutions, Corp

ColdBox Platform: http://www.coldbox.org

Charlie Arehart

Jan 7, 2015, 6:57:35 PM1/7/15
to fusion...@googlegroups.com

Well, Brad, if you mean edit the JVM file for Railo to add the javaagent for FR, you could. But you’d also need to get the FR jar file into the right place. I assume it’s documented somewhere.

But Jamie the “official” way to FR into something on the machine is to use the FRAM instance (at port 8087, which you may never have done since FR was first installed). In that, use its “Instance Manager” (which would have been shown to you when FR was first installed), and you could use the “scan system” button there to have FR find Railo (or any other Java EE app servers) on the machine. Then you could use the “+” button on that line (where it shows the found server) to “add” FR into that server.

You could use the Railo extension route, but I believe that implements a full FR “under” Railo/Tomcat, and since you already have that (from when you installed FR for CF), it would be redundant (and now technically 2 unattached implementations). One of the engineers or folks more familiar with running FR for both CF and Railo on the same machine (using Railo’s extension) can clarify better.

Hope that helps.

/charlie

Jamie Jackson

Jan 8, 2015, 12:38:46 PM1/8/15
to fusion...@googlegroups.com
Thanks guys.

Where is the recommended place to add the javaagent, and can I see a snippet? I tried adding it in FRAM and hacking something in /opt/railo/tomcat/bin/setenv.sh, but it didn't work. (I mean the 8089 instance didn't resolve).

# Tomcat memory settings
# -Xms<size> set initial Java heap size
# -Xmx<size> set maximum Java heap size
# -Xss<size> set java thread stack size
# -XX:MaxPermSize sets the java PermGen size
#JAVA_OPTS="-Xms256m -Xmx512m -XX:MaxPermSize=128m -javaagent:lib/railo-inst.jar" ;   # memory settings
JAVA_OPTS="-Xms1024m -Xmx4096m -XX:MaxPermSize=128m -javaagent:lib/railo-inst.jar -javaagent:/opt/fusionreactor/instance/default.Railo4.1.1/fusionreactor.jar=name=default.Railo4.1.1,address=8089" ;   # memory settings

export JAVA_OPTS;

As far as I know, the permissions are kosher on /opt/fusionreactor/instance/default.Railo4.1.1, BTW.

Thanks,
Jamie