hello from MacZFS; how about ZFS-FUSE?

Daniel Bethe

Aug 10, 2012, 12:43:00 AM8/10/12
to fus...@googlegroups.com
Hi guys.  I do the web site for http://maczfs.org/ and I would like to connect more with the outside world.  We are compatriots in the world of infrastructure for Mac OS.

Has anyone tried to get ZFS-FUSE working on Mac OS?  I read some old Siracusa articles that claim that someone did get it working with MacFUSE, but he provided no substantiation of that claim.  One of the MacZFS developers attempted it, but couldn't get it to build.  Although I don't know why there are two implementations of FUSE on Mac OS now and I hope that they can combine efforts at some point, I understand that both fuse4x and OSXFUSE are now in better shape than MacFUSE was.

As you know, ZFS-FUSE on Mac OS would be an aid to some users for various reasons, and if we started merging it with the kernel-based MacZFS, it could aid us in debugging.  ZFS-FUSE's core ZFS code is more advanced than MacZFS's, although MacZFS is more integrated with Mac OS and might have higher performance.  And it would be quite a feather in your cap to say that you had ZFS.

Daniel Bethe

Aug 10, 2012, 1:06:55 AM8/10/12
to fus...@googlegroups.com
Oops, I forgot to include a link to our scant observations about the feasibility of porting MacZFS to FUSE.  He didn't really try it; he just tried and failed to build it, and he wrote some notes on paper.  There's a chapter about FUSE.

grahamperrin

Oct 31, 2012, 2:58:52 AM10/31/12
to fus...@googlegroups.com
In the OSXFUSE area:

ext4, btrfs, xfs and zfs in OS X?
<https://groups.google.com/d/topic/osxfuse-group/71F5IBBPEWU/discussion>

Historically, in the MacFUSE area:

<https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!searchin/macfuse/ZFS> but I
don't trust the Google Groups interface to find things.