4/9 Meeting Notes

Angeles Ortega

Apr 9, 2017, 6:32:25 PM4/9/17
to First Unitarian immigration
All,

Notes in the body of the email and attached as a document.

Thank you!

Immigration and Justice Meeting

April 9, 2017

Notes

Present:

Douglas Fiero                        Kat Parker                 Jamie

Jeanette Vizguerra              Chris Wheeler           Christen

Kathy Glatz                            Jim Harlin                   Stacy Johns

Micah Chambers                 Randy Chase            Angeles Ortega

AGENDA

Opening

Check-in with Jeanette

First Baptist Meeting this week

Romero Fundraising

DU Students

4/23 Service Planning

Opening Reading – Kathy Glatz

Jeanette Update – Has not heard from attorney regarding her case,  She needs to know what is the next legal step to take.  Until then, she is not able to plan a strategy for herself and her role in the community.

Jeanette showed letters addressed to Senator Cory Gardner to support DACA

Jeanette’s children will be going to DC April 12-14 to speak to congressional representatives.  She will need assistance this week for Zuri, she will need to be driven to and from school.

Jeanette has (30) t-shirts and posters available for sale.  The T-shirts are $20 and the posters $15.  She is concerned about funds as she is not aware how long she will have to be in sanctuary.

She is also concerned who is picking up the children from school.  At times, she does not know the individuals volunteering.  When she does not know the drivers, she asks them to keep their phone on until they get to the school.

Micah discussed a new tool that can be used to contact legislators.  It uses texts and can be personalized.

Another concern are volunteers that Jeanette does not know.  There was a man that traveled from Avon to stay overnight, he acted estrange and asked her a lot of questions.  Others had concern about him as well.  He had a camera, and wanted to interview Jeanette on video.

Everyone agreed that those signing to drive the children to school or stay overnight need to have a background check.  Any cost of doing that, should come out of the committee’s budget.

First Baptist  - Meeting on Wednesday, April 12th  @ 7:00pm at FUSD.  The new pastor has increased the congregation from about 15 families to approximately 45 families.  The focus of the church is more social—justice oriented.  The church facilities are also very nice.  During the meeting they will likely ask Jeanette questions, see the facilities, etc.

Jeanette mentioned that another group “Get Real” is will be staging a support demonstration outside the church also on Wednesday.

Romero Fundraising – Scheduled for Friday 4/21 at FUSD.  This will be a theater performance by Jeanette telling her story.  All the funds raised will be for Jeanette and Ingrid.

DU Students – Five graduate students from an Advance Qualitative Methods in Anthropology course will be participating in the Wednesday meeting.  They will interview Jeanette and Ingrid.  They will possibly volunteer (overnights.) They are aware of the confidential nature and understand the cause for confidentiality and caution.  Chris Wheeler will be working with the group, as well as the professor.

April 23 Service

Order of Service and Responsible parties

Welcome – Music

Greetings and Welcome – Douglas Fiero

Call to Worship – Micah (English) Angeles (Spanish)

Prelude

Chalice Lighting – Kathy

Hym

Joys and Concerns –

Offertory Asking and Receiving) - Chris

Sermon – Jeanette

Hym

Closing Afirmation – All

Benediction – Angeles

Postlude

Suggested Songs:  “This is my song” “This is my land”

Other:

Chris suggested we keep the congregation informed about what is going on in the community, such as raids, news, etc.

ACTION ITEMS

  • Micah will send to the group the “Resist Spot” link.

  • Kathy will do a blur about the Romero Theater production (4/21) for First Announce

  • Stacy will place the Romero Theater on First Announce

  • Stacy will ask John how to post onto FUSD’s Facebook to promote the event

  • Doug will find out who is the greeter for the first service on 4/23, need to know if that person can also do the 11:00am service or if one of the committee members can do it

  • Randy will ask Glenn what is the process to conduct background checks on volunteers – The cost is $25.00 per volunteer and Glenn needs a couple of days advance to conduct background check

  • Jamie will follow up with Arnie to review “Master List” to make sure all volunteers are well known either to church members and Jeanette or have gone thru a background check.

  • Jamie will review which volunteers have already have attended an orientation, if not, they will have to receive and orientation prior to volunteering overnight

  • Jim will re-subscribe Stacy to the Google group

  • Jamie will contact Leah regarding the music for 4/23

  • Jamie will contact Language Cooperative for interpreter services for the 4/23 service.

  • WHO ? - Insert about the Gala 4/25 7:00pm in the Chapel.  The event should be announced, but not Jeanette’s nomination yet.

    DATES TO REMEMBER

    4/12 – First Baptist Church Meeting 7:00pm @ FUSD

    4/14 – Vigil 6:30 to 7:30pm @ Mountain View

    4/25 – Gala @ 7:00pm @ FUSD

    4/29 – Ingrid’s Potluck 3:30 – 4:30pm @ Mountain View

    Hope I was able to capture everyone’s comments.  Please feel free to make any corrections.

--
A Ortega
704-807-4020 (cell)

Life is like a camera...FOCUS on what's important, CAPTURE the good times, DEVELOP from the negatives, and if things don't work out...take another shot.
Immigration and Justice Meeting notes april 9.docx

Kathy J G

Apr 10, 2017, 11:24:51 PM4/10/17
to Angeles Ortega, fusd-immigration-justice-circle@googlegroups com
I think i agreed to send Stacey for 1st announce all upcoming events. Think ill send Romero twice,

Kathy j glatz

Angeles Ortega <aorteg...@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]

> Jamie will contact Language Cooperative for interpreter services for the
> 4/23 service.
>

> -

> WHO ? - Insert about the Gala 4/25 7:00pm in the Chapel. The event
> should be announced, but not Jeanette’s nomination yet.
>

> *DATES TO REMEMBER*

> 4/12 – First Baptist Church Meeting 7:00pm @ FUSD
>
> 4/14 – Vigil 6:30 to 7:30pm @ Mountain View
>
> 4/25 – Gala @ 7:00pm @ FUSD
>
> 4/29 – Ingrid’s Potluck 3:30 – 4:30pm @ Mountain View
>

> Hope I was able to capture everyone’s comments. Please feel free to
> make any corrections.
>

>--
>A Ortega
>704-807-4020 (cell)
>

>Life is like a camera...FOCUS on what's important, CAPTURE the good times,
>DEVELOP from the negatives, and if things don't work out...take another

Kristen Psaki

Apr 11, 2017, 12:05:33 AM4/11/17
to Fusd Immigrant
Amazing notes Angeles!! Thank you.
I love the clear section for action items.

A couple of things to add:
- I will reach out to Lia about music for the service.
- I will reach out to the Community Language Cooperative to inquire about simultaneous translation services for the service.
- I will do the Joys & Concerns/Pastoral Prayer

Talk soon,
Kristen

--
www.metrodenversanctuary.org
---

Angeles Ortega

Apr 11, 2017, 7:31:34 AM4/11/17
to fusd-immigratio...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, I will make the changes.

See'ya

Sent from my iPhone
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to fusd-immigration-just...@googlegroups.com.

Stacy Johns

Apr 11, 2017, 12:37:07 PM4/11/17
to fusd-immigratio...@googlegroups.com
I'm not able to post yet, but I wanted you guys to know that I've volunteered to collect submissions for First Announce. If you have a submission, please email me at Denve...@gmail.com by 5pm on Tuesdays.

Thank you!
Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/fusd-immigration-justice-circle.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/fusd-immigration-justice-circle/CAAnardzYPrOa6cycGTKn8duf_KWzGoXO4VaHfQZB%2B42xoqxcjA%40mail.gmail.com.

www.metrodenversanctuary.org
---

www.metrodenversanctuary.org
---

Stacy Johns

Apr 12, 2017, 4:40:50 PM4/12/17
to fusd-immigratio...@googlegroups.com
Do we want to get Ingrid's potlock on 4/29 into FirstAnnouce this week? If so, does anyone have a blurb for me to forward along by 5pm today? Thanks!

Kathy Glatz

Apr 12, 2017, 4:46:16 PM4/12/17
to fusd-immigratio...@googlegroups.com
I was going to send it next week, & next......but you can begin advertising now if you wish....oops, too late for today...

Kathy J Glatz  720.233.4567
  "justice is what love looks like in public."  Cornel West

Free Palestine: Abraham was an Iraqi.