gnome testing -- with ati-drivers

Daniel Robbins

Mar 3, 2014, 2:47:40 AM3/3/14
to funtoo development mailing list
Hi there,

Is anyone out there running an up-to-date system with GNOME 3.6 and ati-drivers?

I have no issues with ati-drivers-13.6_beta, but with newer ati-drivers I need to move windows in order to force them to redraw (otherwise things like gnome-terminal do not update their display). Turning off compositing puts GNOME in "legacy" mode but "fixes" (works around) the problem. No such problems with xfce4, even with compositing enabled and even when using gnome-terminal.

If you have a relatively up-to-date system with ati-drivers and GNOME 3.6, please let me know:

1) your video card
2) your ati-drivers version
3) when the last time was that you emerge -auDN @world

Thanks :)

-Daniel

Duncan Britton

Mar 3, 2014, 6:02:16 PM3/3/14
to funto...@googlegroups.com
I have gnome 3.10. Two radeon HD 7850's, ati-drivers-13.12. I did a world update minutes ago.

Daniel Robbins

Mar 3, 2014, 6:04:35 PM3/3/14
to funtoo development mailing list
I specifically asked for gnome 3.6. Testing gnome 3.10 doesn't help me.

-Daniel

---
Also be sure to check out:
Funtoo Forums: http://forums.funtoo.org
Planet Larry: http://larrythecow.org

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Funtoo" group.

Jacob Godserv

Mar 3, 2014, 7:44:57 PM3/3/14
to funtoo-dev
This is a GNOME-specific bug. I can't find the bug page right now, but I did extensive research before. This is something that was fixed in a newer version of GNOME, and if I remember right, I wasn't able to get to that version because of systemd.

That's when I switched back to LXDE and XFCE.

---
Also be sure to check out:
Funtoo Forums: http://forums.funtoo.org
Planet Larry: http://larrythecow.org

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Funtoo" group.

    Jacob

Jacob Godserv

Mar 3, 2014, 7:45:25 PM3/3/14
to funtoo-dev
I should mention this bug also affects NVidia users too.
--
    Jacob

Fede Zayer

Mar 3, 2014, 7:49:34 PM3/3/14
to funto...@googlegroups.com

Hello, daniel,
I has just the same problem with nvidia-drivers.
As someone has said, it is a gnome bug.

Daniel Robbins

Mar 3, 2014, 9:41:23 PM3/3/14
to funtoo development mailing list
That really sucks. We are trying to offer a GNOME 3.6 build for funtoo that doesn't require systemd, but if it doesn't work with AMD or NVIDIA chipsets, that is kind of a showstopper.

If you can find any info on what package has the breakage in it, and what package in GNOME >3.6 fixes it, that would be great. We are going to need to back-port it to get ati-drivers and nvidia working by default.

Also, if an earlier version of GNOME 3 didn't have this bug, then we could revert to an earlier version of the package. Gentoo and Funtoo may be stuck with a "dud" version, where newer and/or older works just fine.

-Daniel

Daniel Robbins

Mar 3, 2014, 9:47:59 PM3/3/14
to funtoo development mailing list
I've created a bug for this:

Daniel Robbins

Mar 4, 2014, 12:42:51 AM3/4/14
to funtoo development mailing list
And just a friendly note -- if something like this is broke, file a bug. We can't fix it if we don't know that it's broken.

-Daniel

Guy Fontaine

Mar 4, 2014, 8:47:15 AM3/4/14
to Funtoo
Can you check for that with Debian people ?

Debian Wheezy, stable, installs 3.4. Jessie offers 3.8 but it' systemd !

Jonathan Vasquez

Mar 4, 2014, 10:47:12 AM3/4/14
to funto...@googlegroups.com

Sources seem to be here

http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/

Daniel Robbins

Mar 4, 2014, 2:57:18 PM3/4/14
to funtoo development mailing list
Guy,

If you can provide any help, please do. If we can find a working GNOME 3.6 with ati-drivers, that will be a start. I added info here:

ati-drivers-13.6_beta work for me, the others do not.

Regards,

Daniel

Guy Fontaine

Mar 4, 2014, 3:59:15 PM3/4/14
to Funtoo
I try my best.

I don not have hardware to test. It's Intel on my laptop. My desktop passed away two weeks ago. But it was a P4 with an ATI All-In-Wonder. So there was no possibilities to install GNOME 3.

I submitted a post to Debian asking if they encountered such a problem. I did that because Funtoo supports debian-sources.

Raphael Bastos

Mar 4, 2014, 4:24:51 PM3/4/14
to funto...@googlegroups.com
I have an ATI Radeon 7730m + intel HD4000 does not work on Linux for anything. I still do not find any driver that works. : (

Att,
Raphael Bastos aka Coffnix

Linux Reg. User: 388431  //  LPI ID: LPI000214711
email:~> $ echo "xgvngkrhgyzuyFngiqyzuxk4ius4hx" | perl -pe \ 's/(.)/chr(ord($1)-2*3)/ge'
Yaxkin/Gentoo Linux - http://downloads.hackstore.com.br
Wiki Hackstorehttp://wiki.hackstore.com.br
Área 31 Hackerspace - http://www.area31.net.br
Kankin/Funtoo Linux - http://kankin.area31.net.br

Guy Fontaine

Mar 4, 2014, 4:32:42 PM3/4/14
to Funtoo
What's the exact problem, Raphael ? Catalyst ? Did you try KMS ?

Guy Fontaine

Mar 7, 2014, 9:57:31 AM3/7/14
to Funtoo
Well... it seems there's nothing about that on Debian side. They invite to look at Cinnamon. Additional question.... Did Gentoo face this problem by the time 3.6 was in the tree ?

Raphael Bastos

Mar 7, 2014, 10:02:59 AM3/7/14
to funto...@googlegroups.com
Guy,

I tried about 10 different drivers and simply does not work on Linux! I went back to using windows for 90% of the use of this notebook is to play games. :D

Att,
Raphael Bastos aka Coffnix

Linux Reg. User: 388431  //  LPI ID: LPI000214711
email:~> $ echo "xgvngkrhgyzuyFngiqyzuxk4ius4hx" | perl -pe \ 's/(.)/chr(ord($1)-2*3)/ge'
Yaxkin/Gentoo Linux - http://downloads.hackstore.com.br
Wiki Hackstorehttp://wiki.hackstore.com.br
Área 31 Hackerspace - http://www.area31.net.br
Kankin/Funtoo Linux - http://kankin.area31.net.br

Guy Fontaine

Mar 7, 2014, 11:09:48 AM3/7/14
to Funtoo
Games are the task force of Linux. Reason why I really don't have problems with Linux. I'm not a gamer at all.

Guy Fontaine

Mar 7, 2014, 11:21:05 AM3/7/14
to Funtoo
It seems that GNOME 3.8 can be ran without systemd. Waiting for additional info from Debian.

Jonathan Vasquez

Mar 7, 2014, 12:49:11 PM3/7/14
to funto...@googlegroups.com

Hey Guy,

That's pretty much why I keep saying that its better to have a minimal version of GNOME 3.8 without systemd then a full version with systemd.

- jon

Guy Fontaine

Mar 7, 2014, 4:50:09 PM3/7/14
to Funtoo
Yep Jonathan...

As I wrote prior your last comment, I'm waiting for details on how to achieve this. I think that installing 3.8 with support of those drivers from our own tree rather than from upstream will delight our community. Debian Jessie comes with 3.8 and it seems systemd not fully supported yet. As far as I know about that it is to use lightdm instead of GDM.

Daniel Robbins

Mar 7, 2014, 6:58:51 PM3/7/14
to funtoo development mailing list
I am going to work on making GNOME 3.6 work. I'm going to start by trying newer versions of mutter, the window manager.

-Daniel

Guy Fontaine

Mar 7, 2014, 7:14:25 PM3/7/14
to Funtoo
Hi Daniel,

3.8 or 3.10 ?

I'm running GNOME 3.10 and really have no problems. My video card is Intel.

Daniel Robbins

Mar 7, 2014, 7:56:41 PM3/7/14
to funtoo development mailing list
I don't know, playing around.

I can also run GNOME 3.6 on Intel with no problem.

-Daniel

Guy Fontaine

Mar 8, 2014, 2:42:25 PM3/8/14
to Funtoo
Here's someone wondering about fglx :

pourquoi fglx ?pourquoi ne pas choisir des pilotes libre ? xorg video radeon ou autres ?
radeon hd 6870 marche tres bien maintenant

Translation :

Why fglx ? Why don't you use or select open source drivers : xorg video radeon or others ?
radeon hd 6870 now just works fine.

Daniel Robbins

Mar 8, 2014, 7:43:11 PM3/8/14
to funtoo development mailing list
The problem seems to affect fglrx as well as nvidia-drivers, and appears to be a bug in GNOME rather than the drivers. So switching drivers isn't really addressing the problem.

-Daniel

Daniel Robbins

Mar 8, 2014, 11:36:56 PM3/8/14
to funtoo development mailing list
I tested my other system, last updated Dec 7, 2013, with GNOME 3 and fglrx and it works fine. So some package(s) that were bumped/masked since Dec 7, 2013 is causing the current breakage.

My goal is to get GNOME 3.6 working in Funtoo for everyone. I will also be establishing a testing procedure for future GNOME updates so we can ensure that we maintain high levels of quality moving forward.

-Daniel

Daniel Robbins

Mar 9, 2014, 1:54:59 AM3/9/14
to funtoo development mailing list
Okay, I figured out the problem.

The new (broken) system was running vanilla-sources-3.13.5. Old (working) system was running vanilla-sources-3.12.3.

I downgraded the broken system to 3.12.3, emerged ati-drivers-13.9 (which requires 3.12 to build, will not build under 3.13) and my video works again. Contents of windows are refreshed properly.

I then upgrade to ati-drivers 3.12, the problem comes back. Downgrade to 3.9, problem goes away.

According to threesixes in IRC, kernel 3.13 introduces some video regressions that also impacted nouveau. So I don't know if we can blame AMD/ATI, or even commercial drivers at all.

It seems wise to mask >3.12 kernels. If people want to play, they can unmask.

And we need some kind of testing procedure for video and kernels so we can ensure that desktops stay functional. I don't know if this is a rare breakage, but it seems like various video drivers can be easily affected by more recent kernels, so it's probably wise.

-Daniel

Jonathan Vasquez

Mar 9, 2014, 3:14:29 AM3/9/14
to funto...@googlegroups.com

Yet another reason why I haven't updated bliss kernel to 3.13.. nvidia, and zfs aren't working with that kernel atm. Try my kernel and see what happens (it is 3.12.13)

Daniel Robbins

Mar 9, 2014, 3:20:47 AM3/9/14
to funtoo development mailing list
I added some warnings to the install docs about 3.13 -- as well as the GNOME First Steps page.

-Daniel

Guy Fontaine

Mar 9, 2014, 9:20:36 AM3/9/14
to Funtoo
Those are good news.

Is it possible to unmask debian-sources-3.12.3 ?

Daniel Robbins

Mar 9, 2014, 1:07:06 PM3/9/14
to funtoo development mailing list
I think this is a good idea. I will test it here.

-Daniel

Oleg Vinichenko

Mar 10, 2014, 12:51:48 AM3/10/14
to Daniel Robbins, funtoo development mailing list
debian-sources of version 3.12.x can be updated to 3.12.9.

Raphael Bastos

Mar 24, 2014, 3:22:00 PM3/24/14
to funto...@googlegroups.com, Daniel Robbins
Daniel,

Just read the word "debian" gives me hives. You never thought of keeping a "funtoo-sources" with a similar config with OpenSUSE? Usually have excellent support, despite the huge size of the kernel because the broad hardware support.