JAVA in Funtoo

Oleg Vinichenko

Mar 6, 2014, 6:55:33 AM3/6/14
to funto...@googlegroups.com
As of 6 March, Funtoo switched default JRE and JDK packages to oracle
binaries. It's java 7 update 51.
virtuals now switched to oracle-jre{jdk}-bin. Notice for fresh install.
Oracle packages are under fetch restriction. To download tarballs visit
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/jre7-downloads-1880261.html,
read and accept license agreement, download corresponding source tarballs
(linux x86 or linux x64) and place tarball to /usr/portage/distfiles.
It doesn't impact users, who already have other JAVA implementations
installed. User, who prefer, icetdtea variant, can do following:

emerge icedtea-bin
emerge icedtea
This will avoid gcc-jdk requirement.

Bartosz Nitkiewicz

Mar 6, 2014, 7:00:48 AM3/6/14
to funto...@googlegroups.com
Finally :)

Oleg Vinichenko dixit (2014-03-06, 11:55):
> --
> --
> ---
> Also be sure to check out:
> Funtoo Forums: http://forums.funtoo.org
> Planet Larry: http://larrythecow.org
>
> ---
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Funtoo" group.

Jonathan Vasquez

Mar 6, 2014, 7:22:31 AM3/6/14
to funto...@googlegroups.com

Nice :). I like Oracle Java better than IcedTea.

Daniel Robbins

Mar 6, 2014, 12:07:05 PM3/6/14
to funtoo development mailing list
:) Thanks Oleg... time to pour some icedtea down the drain...

For people switching to Java 7 update 51, be aware that it has enhanced security, so follow these instructions if your applets do not run:

Just literally run the "ControlPanel" from a terminal, and add an exception for the site hosting the applet. Then it will bypass security and run. This is needed for many Dell iDRAC controllers (virtual consoles).

antec drobbins # cd /opt/oracle-jre-bin-1.7.0.51/bin/
antec bin # ls
ControlPanel  java  java_vm  javaws  jcontrol  keytool  orbd  pack200  policytool  rmid  rmiregistry  servertool  tnameserv  unpack200
antec bin # ./ControlPanel

Also, to enable Java in chrome, just emerge with "nsplugin" flag, and restart Chrome, and all is good. I sense a wiki page coming.

-Daniel

Oleg Vinichenko

Mar 6, 2014, 12:11:18 PM3/6/14
to Daniel Robbins, funtoo development mailing list
Thx, fore details, we will set nsplugin for desktop profile as suggested
in funtoo bugtracker, to reduce package.use

Jacob Godserv

Mar 9, 2014, 9:25:39 AM3/9/14
to funtoo-dev
I agree with this change too. As much as I like open-source alternative efforts, nothing beats the real thing for compatibility and stability. :)

    Jacob

Jean-Francis Roy

Mar 10, 2014, 5:31:43 PM3/10/14
to funto...@googlegroups.com
Hi!

virtual/jre should still depend on either dev-java/oracle-jre-bin OR virtual/jdk.

JDK is a superset of JRE. With the new forked ebuild, JDK users are forced to manually download both dev-java/oracle-jdk-bin and dev-java/oracle-jre-bin. It also adds unneccessary java implementations :

# eselect java-vm list
Available Java Virtual Machines:
  [1]   oracle-jdk-bin-1.7  system-vm
  [2]   oracle-jre-bin-1.7

Thanks! :-)

Víctor Orozco

Mar 14, 2014, 7:10:11 PM3/14/14
to funto...@googlegroups.com

On Mon, Mar 10, 2014 at 6:31 PM, Jean-Francis Roy <jeanf...@funtoo.org> wrote:
Hi!

virtual/jre should still depend on either dev-java/oracle-jre-bin OR virtual/jdk.

JDK is a superset of JRE. With the new forked ebuild, JDK users are forced to manually download both dev-java/oracle-jdk-bin and dev-java/oracle-jre-bin. It also adds unneccessary java implementations :

# eselect java-vm list
Available Java Virtual Machines:
  [1]   oracle-jdk-bin-1.7  system-vm
  [2]   oracle-jre-bin-1.7

Thanks! :-)

I noticed the same situation, at this time the virtual/jre ebuild depends only on oracle-jre-bin, however oracle-jdk-bin provides all the jre funcionallity, plus compilers and dev tools, maybe is a good idea to add oracle-jdk to the ebuild :).

--
Victor Leonel Orozco (tuxtor) - http://tuxtor.shekalug.org

skunk

Jul 6, 2014, 9:31:49 PM7/6/14
to funto...@googlegroups.com
so is everybody forced to install oracle's java 1.7? isn't wiser let the user choose which java implementation he wants? why the hard masking of java 1.6?
i don't like to have less choices as with gentoo...

Beni Grind

Jul 9, 2014, 12:45:40 AM7/9/14
to funto...@googlegroups.com
 On Monday, 7 July 2014 03:31:49 UTC+2, skunk wrote:
so is everybody forced to install oracle's java 1.7? isn't wiser let the user choose which java implementation he wants? why the hard masking of java 1.6?
i don't like to have less choices as with gentoo...

I agree with this. I don't often use Java and everything I need it for work just fine in OpenJDK. I don't really need Oracle Java. Is there an easy way to switch back to OpenJDK?

Daniel Robbins

Jul 9, 2014, 7:20:52 PM7/9/14
to funtoo development mailing list
No, skunk, not everybody is forced to use Oracle Java. You can unmask and use another Java implementation if you want.

The masking was done to address dep issues where icedtea-bin would continually get pulled in even with Oracle-JDK installed. And there are several bugs that exist with other Java implementations.

On Sun, Jul 6, 2014 at 7:31 PM, skunk <sku...@gmail.com> wrote:
so is everybody forced to install oracle's java 1.7? isn't wiser let the user choose which java implementation he wants? why the hard masking of java 1.6?
i don't like to have less choices as with gentoo...

---
Also be sure to check out:
Funtoo Forums: http://forums.funtoo.org
Planet Larry: http://larrythecow.org

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Funtoo" group.

Daniel Robbins

Jul 9, 2014, 7:21:19 PM7/9/14
to funtoo development mailing list
Just merge it.