MIPS question

Catudal Michel

May 12, 2015, 12:47:06 PM5/12/15
to funto...@googlegroups.com
Is there a funtoo stage3 for MIPS Creator CI20?
I see that gentoo has one.

Michel Catudal

Daniel Robbins

May 12, 2015, 1:35:09 PM5/12/15
to funtoo development mailing list
We currently don't support MIPS. It would be easy to add -- just need to get a good build server for MIPS. Any suggestions?

-Daniel

---
Also be sure to check out:
Funtoo Forums: http://forums.funtoo.org
Planet Larry: http://larrythecow.org

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Funtoo" group.

Catudal Michel

May 12, 2015, 8:24:59 PM5/12/15
to funto...@googlegroups.com
There is a small board MIPS Creator CI20 which gentoo has a stage and image

http://store.imgtec.com/us/

ftp://lug.mtu.edu/gentoo/experimental/mips/desktop-ci20/

How hard would it be to convert a gentoo stage to funtoo?  I plan on getting one of these boards and I could look into that. I am not sure how I would do the conversion.

Michel

Oleg Vinichenko

May 24, 2015, 12:26:44 PM5/24/15
to funto...@googlegroups.com
Convertion of gentoo stages to funtoo is theoretically possible. I know some succeeded in this. But it is strongly discouraged. Funtoo has own portageprofiles and tools for manage it. Custom changes in toolchain packages: gcc, glibc, bintuils, openrc, many others. Time consumed on convertion is roughly same if not longer than using native stages. Also making FUntoo stages on hardware (MIPS) will ensure it will work.
On Tue, May 12, 2015 at 05:24:58PM -0700, Catudal Michel wrote:
> There is a small board MIPS Creator CI20
> <http://www.elinux.org/MIPS_Creator_CI20> which gentoo has a stage and image
>
> http://store.imgtec.com/us/
>
> ftp://lug.mtu.edu/gentoo/experimental/mips/desktop-ci20/
>
> How hard would it be to convert a gentoo stage to funtoo? I plan on
> getting one of these boards and I could look into that. I am not sure how I
> would do the conversion.
>
> Michel
>
> Le mardi 12 mai 2015 13:35:09 UTC-4, Daniel Robbins a écrit :
> >
> > We currently don't support MIPS. It would be easy to add -- just need to
> > get a good build server for MIPS. Any suggestions?
> >
> > -Daniel
> >
> > On Tue, May 12, 2015 at 10:47 AM, Catudal Michel <michel...@gmail.com
> > <javascript:>> wrote:
> >
> >> Is there a funtoo stage3 for MIPS Creator CI20?
> >> <http://www.elinux.org/MIPS_Creator_CI20>
> >> I see that gentoo has one.
> >>
> >> Michel Catudal
> >> <http://www.elinux.org/MIPS_Creator_CI20>
> >>
> >> --
> >> --
> >> ---
> >> Also be sure to check out:
> >> Funtoo Forums: http://forums.funtoo.org
> >> Planet Larry: http://larrythecow.org
> >>
> >> ---
> >> "Funtoo" group.
> >> email to funtoo-dev+...@googlegroups.com <javascript:>.

Catudal Michel

Sep 27, 2015, 9:28:29 PM9/27/15
to Funtoo

Le dimanche 24 mai 2015 12:26:44 UTC-4, Oleg a écrit :
Convertion of gentoo stages to funtoo is theoretically possible. I know some succeeded in this. But it is strongly discouraged. Funtoo has own portageprofiles and tools for manage it. Custom changes in toolchain packages: gcc, glibc, bintuils, openrc, many others. Time consumed on convertion is roughly same if not longer than using native stages. Also making FUntoo stages on hardware (MIPS) will ensure it will work.

I finally got my CI20 creator board after several months of delays. I am in the process of creating a gentoo installation. The board is not very expensive, $65 plus shipping.

What would I need to do to create the funtoo stages? I have a gentoo installation and funtoo installation on my PC. I use gentoo for cross compiling since it was not possible to create the cross compiler on Funtoo.

I have tried Fedora but I don't find it very stable and they have tons of annoying messages on the command line screen. The more stable Linux is debian but I never really cared for debian and it takes forever to boot.

Michel

palica

Jan 31, 2016, 8:51:46 AM1/31/16
to Funtoo
have you tried using metro to build a funtoo stage using gentoo stage as a seed?

Pavol