keychain 2.7.1 prompts for gpg passphrase on each new shell/terminal invocation

Jeff Kowalczyk

Mar 2, 2015, 5:29:15 PM3/2/15
to funto...@googlegroups.com
Keychain 2.7.1's managed gpg-agent is prompting for the gpg key passphrase on each new shell/terminal invocation. keychain's ssh-agent asks just once, given a correct passphrase.

I am using keychain 2.7.1 on Gentoo ~amd64, and recently added a single gpg key to my .zshrc:

eval `keychain -q --eval id_rsa KEYSTRING1`

As I understand it, by not specifying --agents, both ssh-agent and gpg-agent will be tried. gpg-agent is being started by keychain.

% gpg --list-keys
(elide one other key)
pub   2048R/KEYSTRING1 2014-06-06
uid       [ultimate] email address
sub   2048R/KEYSTRING2 2014-06-06

Have I missed a step?

Thanks,
Jeff

Jeff Kowalczyk

Mar 3, 2015, 1:46:47 AM3/3/15
to funto...@googlegroups.com
Fixed: adding --agents ssh,gpg fixes the problem of being asked repeatedly for the gpg passphrase:

eval `keychain -q --agents ssh,gpg --eval id_rsa KEYSTRING1`

I think gpg-agent was being found (keychain apparently started it), but new terminal/shell invocations did not use it until --agents ssh,gpg was passed.

The keychain 2.7.1 man page :

   By default keychain will build the list automatically based on
   the existence of ssh-agent and/or gpg-agent on the system

% which gpg-agent
/usr/bin/gpg-agent
% which ssh-agent
/usr/bin/ssh-agent

Thanks,
Jeff

Daniel Robbins

Mar 3, 2015, 11:16:24 PM3/3/15
to funtoo development mailing list
I did try to change the code recently so that only ssh-agent is started by default. You may want to try the version on GitHub and see if it works better in this regard.

-Daniel

---
Also be sure to check out:
Funtoo Forums: http://forums.funtoo.org
Planet Larry: http://larrythecow.org

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Funtoo" group.