Proposed policy development process: Rs.15,000 per policy. Four months time.

Sanjeev Sabhlok

Apr 27, 2013, 11:56:27 PM4/27/13
to sone-ki-chidi...@googlegroups.com, freedom-te...@googlegroups.com, freedom-...@googlegroups.com, skc-...@googlegroups.com, conference...@indiapolicy.org, summit-participants, policycompe...@freedomteam.in, fti-policy-...@googlegroups.com
SKC Federation needs to soon establish the 20 odd policy committees which we agreed in Haridwar to establish. Most members who have joined have given their preference for various committees.

In a couple of days we'll establish "policy projects" on the SKC Forum (under construction) which members of the Federation can opt to join, to start policy work.

Proposed process

1) Policy Committees established by 1 or 2 May

2) Terms of Reference:

Each Policy Committee will deliver a policy document (of about 50 pages, with clear and extensive analysis) that meets the minimum standard of the 1st prize winning entry of the FTI policy competition (download from here: http://freedomteam.in/blog/content/ftis-policy-competition-the-results-and-seven-prizes). In doing so the committee will make use of the SKC Policy Framework and a specific template (to be soon created) based on the framework. Policy framework is available here: http://sonekichidiya.in/Documents/SKC-Policy-Framework.pdf. Policies will also need to prepare strategic plans for implementation, after the main policy is agreed.

3) Each Committee will be given a budget of Rs. 15,000 to deliver the policy. The Committee can hire high quality students and other professionals (who will be vetted in advance for their policy skills) to assist in drafting the policies. (I am happy to personally guide such students/professionals in drafting the initial document.) Not more than Rs.10,000 should be paid as honorarium to the hired student/professional. Each contract for honorarium will need to be agreed by the SKC Board of Directors in advance.

Each Policy Committee can use the remaining Rs.5,000 for organising one or more meetings in Delhi (Policy committee members will have to bear their own travel and accommodation costs). Funds will be reimbursed to the Convenor of the Committee by SKC Federation on submission of bills.

4) The first draft should be prepared by end-July and published for public comment. The revised draft should be published by end-August. The SKC Federation's Board of Directors would then consider the draft policies by end-September. These policies, if agreed, would be presented to the (proposed) National Mentors Council for endorsement.

This is an outline only. Funds have not yet been made available, but we are trying to organise. Please suggest details/ any thoughts on this proposal.

Regards
Sanjeev

PS. I'm copying FTI, etc. into this - and note that many FTI members and others have not yet applied to join the Federation. Without being member of the Federation your potential influence will dramatically reduce. I strongly urge you to sign up at: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/17abiJJVxKkY3IP2xAvHjjkXWQ1zo7gL2RRfJiRzE7Qo/viewform

sanjeev sabhlok
Blog, Linkedin, Facebook, Twitter