Planned features for upcoming major release of Unquote (3.0.0)

Stephen Swensen

Mar 16, 2015, 9:32:53 PM3/16/15
to fsharp-o...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

It's been over two years since the last release of Unquote. Partly because version 2.2.2 is very stable, partly because breaking changes in vs2012 and F# 3.0 delayed value in upgrading from vs2010 and F# 2.0. However, things have stabilized around vs2013 and F# 3.1, so we are due for some new bits!

The following are the main features planned for Unquote 3.0.0.
  1. * Drop builds for Silverlight4.
  2. Upgrade main solution and projects to 2013 and add builds for net45 and portable profile 259
  3. Continue builds for net40 with a secondary vs2010 solution file and projects
  4. * Deprecate '?' suffixed operators (they conflict with F# 3.1 nullable operators) and replace with equivalent '!' suffixed operators
  5. Add xUnit.net 2.x integration
  6. Add Fuchu integration
  7. Possibly add FSharp.Core dependencies in NuGet package
All these features (except #7) are already complete, but given that this is a major release with breaking changes (*), I am hoping to get feedback before proceeding with a release. Some specific questions:

#1 will dropping support for Silverlight4 be a hardship for anyone?

#2 are there any other portable profiles worth targeting?

#4 does this sound reasonable?

#7 what are the pros and cons of adding a FSharp.Core dependency in the NuGet package?

Thanks!

Stephen Swensen

p.s. yes, Unquote and other projects I maintain will likely be moving to github in the next coming months

Ross Mckinlay

Mar 17, 2015, 6:32:28 AM3/17/15
to fsharp-o...@googlegroups.com
Awesome! Moving Unquote and FsEye in particular will be great, a lot of people do not know about them, it will help visibility a lot :)

To post, send email to fsharp-o...@googlegroups.com

Dave Thomas

Mar 17, 2015, 7:01:54 AM3/17/15
to fsharp-o...@googlegroups.com

    #7 what are the pros and cons of adding a FSharp.Core dependency in the NuGet package?

    Pros are you know the right version is included
    Cons are possible conflicts with the consumers FSharp.Core if it is different, this problem happens with FSUnit and there always seems to be some issue that requires assembly redirects because the version of FSharp.Core there is ancient etc

    FSharp.Core has well known locations for the default and PCL editions of FSharp.Core in both Windows and OSX.  There are profiles 7, 78, and 259 available for FSharp.Core, as well as MonoTouch, MonoDroid.  The PCL profiles have decreasing footprint and feature limitations from 7 through to 259 respectively.

    Cheers
    D.

    Jack Fox

    Mar 17, 2015, 11:09:58 AM3/17/15
    to fsharp-o...@googlegroups.com
    I'm also looking forward to the new release and moving Unquote and FsEye to GitGub.