monodevelop

Ali M.

Oct 10, 2015, 1:55:25 AM10/10/15
to fsharp-o...@googlegroups.com
Greetings all,

I have few questions

I just built the latest monodevelop,
I cloned it from github
And did a very basic and straight forward build

When I finally ran it, it didnt have any F# sharp support
This was odd to me, since their website clearly advertise F#

So most likely I did something wrong, please note
I am dont really have an experience building software from source
But I can confirm that at least
./configure --select
doesnt give an option to add fsharp support

So, can this be fixed?
And regardless

Does any one use monodevelop
It is known (and understandably) that the xamarin team
doesnt have linux on their customer list
they stated this on many ocassion
and they are a business after all

But considering this fact, does anyone use monodevelop
for fsharp development on linux
If not, what do you use, are there better options

I think emacs have some support, but emacs is tough
I also think atom.io have some fsharp support, but i dont know how good it is

So please advise

Thank you
Ali

Robert Jeppesen

Oct 10, 2015, 3:01:38 AM10/10/15
to fsharp-o...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ali,

Xamarin Studio and MonoDevelop has what is arguably the best support for F#, even better than Visual Studio.
But the F# support is built as a plugin, so you may need to clone and build that separately. If you just download MonoDevelop/Xamarin Studio, then it comes in the box.

To post, send email to fsharp-o...@googlegroups.com

Dave Thomas

Oct 25, 2015, 7:20:06 PM10/25/15
to F# Discussions
If you use Windows or Osx then F# support is included as part of the build, you don't have to install a plugin at all, with linux though you would have to ./configure && make install from the main/external/fsharpbinding folder.