CAN I USE AN F# 4.0 DLL WITH A .NET 4.5.2 EXE

Peter Santoro

Jul 8, 2016, 2:38:17 PM7/8/16
to F# Discussions
I have a vendor-provided Windows .NET 4.5.2 binary application, which the vendor claims will not be supporting .NET 4.6.x any time soon (maybe in 2018).  I've customized this application for my employer via VS2013 C# DLLs that adhere to the vendor's plugin specification.  Going forward, I intend to use F# instead of C# for most of my development.  I know that I can use F# 3.1 for this work (since it targets .NET 4.5.x), but I'd prefer to use F# 4.0.

Can an F# 4.0 compiled DLL (and dependencies, such as FSharp.Core.dll) be loaded and safely used within a .NET 4.5.2 EXE?

I'm guessing that the answer is no, because the F# 4.0 DLL would need to run against the EXE's downgraded .NET 4.5.2 which may not be 100% compatible with .NET 4.6.x.

Thank you in advance,

Peter Santoro

Isaac Abraham

Jul 8, 2016, 3:26:30 PM7/8/16
to fsharp-o...@googlegroups.com
I'm using F#4 with .NET 452, haven't seen any problems.