F# Advent Calendar posts -- raise money for a good cause?

Scott Wlaschin

Nov 27, 2016, 8:50:38 AM11/27/16
to F# Discussions
F# Advent Calendar authors and readers, how do you feel about making an e-book from the posts and using it to raise money for a good cause?

I'd be happy to do the work of assembling the book and putting it on Leanpub or similar.

Leanpub supports some non-profits such as EFF and Oxfam directly, or we could host it on gitbook and put a button (like PayPal Giving Fund) for donations to the charity of your choice.

Any authors willing to do this? And readers, would you be willing to donate?

round crisis

Nov 27, 2016, 12:05:44 PM11/27/16
to F# Discussions
Sounds great, A++ would book for EFF

Anthony Lloyd

Nov 27, 2016, 12:45:57 PM11/27/16
to F# Discussions
Great idea. Thanks for offering to do it.

Riccardo Terrell

Nov 27, 2016, 2:48:01 PM11/27/16
to fsharp-o...@googlegroups.com
Great idea!
Come completely agree!

On Nov 27, 2016, at 12:45 PM, Anthony Lloyd <anthon...@tindecofs.com> wrote:

Great idea. Thanks for offering to do it.

To post, send email to fsharp-o...@googlegroups.com

Rick Pack

Nov 27, 2016, 2:53:16 PM11/27/16
to F# Discussions
Great idea!

Tomas Jansson

Nov 27, 2016, 4:19:21 PM11/27/16
to F# Discussions
I'm not writing anything this year, but it is a great initiative.

Paulmichael Blasucci

Nov 27, 2016, 11:38:38 PM11/27/16
to F# Discussions
I love this idea. Count me in!

Mark Seemann

Dec 3, 2016, 4:46:50 PM12/3/16
to F# Discussions
My short answer is: yes, please use my entry with proper attribution (author, publication date, original URL, copyright remaining mine).

Slightly longer, if I may be allowed to be the cynical voice in the crowd: If money can be made off blog posts, I've been doing something wrong for the last 10 years. I don't think that raising money for a worthy cause will change this, but if I'm wrong, then the world is ever so slightly better than I think it is.

Jose Mª González

Dec 4, 2016, 6:41:33 AM12/4/16
to F# Discussions
Yes!

And if you consider that there's some error on my writing I also authorize modifications

Jose Mª González

Dec 4, 2016, 6:42:46 AM12/4/16
to F# Discussions
Since I don't know if my email is shown I am Josesoyo

Steffen Forkmann

Dec 4, 2016, 7:56:03 AM12/4/16
to fsharp-o...@googlegroups.com

I’m in as well.

TBH I also don’t think this will make any money, but people already asked me for the ebook since the pace of the blog posts is too fast.

Basically they want to read later on vacation or something like that. I mean that’s already reason enough for a book ;-

To post, send email to

Greg Young

Dec 4, 2016, 8:09:01 AM12/4/16
to fsharp-o...@googlegroups.com
The other side of this will be the editing. Taking blog posts and
moving them into a book is not as easy as people may think. A lot of
work needs to be done with images, formatting of code/text and getting
all the posts into a consistent visual style. The main question should
be whether this work is worth the amount of charity that will be
brought in. (as example if this work is done say 40 hours of work and
it raises 1000$ for charity it would be better just to donate 1000$
instead of spending the time).

I think the charity ebook/dead tree version could be successful
though. IMO best would be to make it clear that 100% goes to charity
and then to put a reasonably high price on it (say $50 for a dead tree
version and $20 for the ebook of course these would be minimums and I
would allow people to pay more if they wanted).

Cheers,

Greg
--
Studying for the Turing test

Scott Wlaschin

Dec 4, 2016, 9:51:42 AM12/4/16
to F# Discussions
Hello everyone,

The status so far:

The first 4 days are now available to download

The first 4 days are now available on GitBook at https://www.gitbook.com/book/swlaschin/fsadvent-2016/details  You can download in epub, mobi and PDF. I wasn't thinking of doing a paper version at all.

I'll be adding the next four days tomorrow.

Greg was worried that would take a long time to format, but it takes less than 15 minutes to convert a post to markdown (and only a minute or two if the post is available in markdown already!).
The posts are not going look super nice, but they should be readable.

The source for the book is here: https://github.com/swlaschin/fsadvent2016book so if you find typos, etc, I accept PRs!

Raising money

I was originally thinking of using LeanPub, which has a scheme where you can donate sales from the book to a non-profit directly.
Unfortunately, LeanPub now charges money to create a book. :(

So instead, I've put it on GitBook and have provided links for voluntary donations. If you have suggestions for other links to add, let me know.

Will it be worth it?

I don't know! I was surprised how many people wanted to download my site as an ebook, and there might be similar pent up demand for FsAdvent as well.

As to how much money it will make, if we get donations of even a few hundred bucks, I'd be happy :)

Greg Young

Dec 4, 2016, 9:54:12 AM12/4/16
to fsharp-o...@googlegroups.com
15 minutes * 30 posts = quite a bit of work :)

Its more work if there are images.

Scott Wlaschin

Dec 4, 2016, 10:01:53 AM12/4/16
to F# Discussions

15 minutes * 30 posts = quite a bit of work :)

A hour every few days. Plus I quite enjoy it!

Also, I'm downloading the images as-is and not doing any processing on them, so that's easy!  If it was going to be printed on paper, then yes I would take more care :)

Greg Young

Dec 4, 2016, 10:09:56 AM12/4/16
to fsharp-o...@googlegroups.com
I think gitbook can do paper copies IIRC Pieter H was doing that.

Anthony Lloyd

Dec 4, 2016, 3:35:54 PM12/4/16
to F# Discussions
Looking great so far!

The only minor issue I spotted on mine was an problem in the highlighting on the line 'More fine grained concurrency is possible andMakingonElf`'

Thanks again for doing this.

Scott Wlaschin

Dec 10, 2016, 10:07:30 AM12/10/16
to F# Discussions

FYI: The eBook (https://www.gitbook.com/book/swlaschin/fsadvent-2016) is now up to date as of Dec 10th. The PDF is 250 pages!

Any typos or formatting fixes, let me know (or do a PR to https://github.com/swlaschin/fsadvent2016book)

Cheers!

Jose Mª González

Dec 12, 2016, 5:02:57 AM12/12/16
to F# Discussions
One doubt about the license,  can we personally change the license of our part?
I'd like to change the statement of copyright from my part to some copyleft/creative commons, but I am not sure if this can represent a problem to our scope of raise money  for a good cause. Something like creative commons Attribution+NonCommercial should protect our rights as authors and shouldn't be a conflict with our desire to raise money.

If there's no conflict I'll probably change the sentence on github

Jose

Scott Wlaschin

Dec 12, 2016, 5:33:02 AM12/12/16
to fsharp-o...@googlegroups.com
Yes, of course you can change the license for your part. I defaulted to everyone having full rights to be safe.

If you want to use a CCBY license, say, just let me know, or submit a PR :)

We're not actually "selling" the book anyway, just asking for donations. The license doesn't affect anything in that respect.

To post, send email to fsharp-opensource@googlegroups.com

Scott Wlaschin

Dec 21, 2016, 11:40:37 AM12/21/16
to F# Discussions