Is Google Groups the best place for F# discussions?

Quintus Marais

Feb 26, 2015, 11:37:54 AM2/26/15
to fsharp-o...@googlegroups.com
HI All

Just throwing this out here.  I am not a fan of the google groups way of showing discussions etc.  Would there be any interest in the community in moving to different software, such as http://www.discourse.org/, which I think provides a much more pleasant experience.  Or will this just be too much schlep?

Please tell me what you think?

Regards

Stachu Korick

Feb 26, 2015, 11:41:59 AM2/26/15
to fsharp-o...@googlegroups.com
I wholeheatedly agree.
I haven't used discourse besides the demos I saw when it released, but anything would be surely better than a bunch of email chains in 2015, no?

Also: more people should come on the F# JabbR room, here: https://jabbr.net/#/rooms/fsharp.

To post, send email to fsharp-o...@googlegroups.com

Matthew Moloney

Feb 26, 2015, 1:00:42 PM2/26/15
to fsharp-o...@googlegroups.com, fsharp-o...@googlegroups.com
I find that ppl check email constantly and are reluctant to add a new website to their daily routine.

Sent from my iPhone

Dave Thomas

Feb 26, 2015, 1:01:42 PM2/26/15
to fsharp-o...@googlegroups.com
The problem is jabbr is quite dead as is stackoverflow chat, need a place everyone is going to use rather than frags here and there.

D.

Mark Rathwell

Feb 26, 2015, 1:08:11 PM2/26/15

On Thu, Feb 26, 2015 at 1:00 PM, Matthew Moloney <molo...@gmail.com> wrote:
I find that ppl check email constantly and are reluctant to add a new website to their daily routine.

This is my feeling as well.  Not that I contribute to this community, but as is I can follow several many communities solely with email, whereas if every community had a separate site I needed to visit to participate it would honestly never happen.

Gauthier Segay

Feb 26, 2015, 1:16:47 PM2/26/15
to fsharp-o...@googlegroups.com
Dave, I believe irc should be that place, anyone should try to log on
#haskell and ask simple questions, you'll get answer within a minute.

##fsharp channel is dormant most of the time.

Matthew, I concur, email / mailing lists works well for most.

The google group back end is an implementation detail and is not too
bad to perform search on the archive.

Dave Thomas

Feb 26, 2015, 1:23:15 PM2/26/15
to fsharp-o...@googlegroups.com
Thats the reason I stopped logging into irc, because it was quite dead...

Michael Newton

Feb 26, 2015, 2:36:08 PM2/26/15
to fsharp-o...@googlegroups.com

Discourse (mentioned above) has the advantage it can be set to be both a mailing list and has a web interface. It does need a server to host it, of course.

It would make browsing the history of the mailing list significantly more pleasant than google groups manages.

Michael

Steven Taylor

Feb 27, 2015, 7:28:17 AM2/27/15
to fsharp-o...@googlegroups.com
Some people were talking
about using hip chat in another forum.  The decision there was to do both as it serves different purposes and it appeals to different age groups.

Sent from my iPod

Michael Newton

Feb 27, 2015, 7:31:22 AM2/27/15
to fsharp-o...@googlegroups.com

I quite like the fact that discourse (and presumably other decent mail list servers) combine both purposes - I.e. nice ux for people who want a social experience, but also messages delivered via email for people who don't want an extra workflow. Google groups is trying to do that, but the online ux is... not good.

Michael

Steven Taylor

Feb 27, 2015, 12:07:23 PM2/27/15
to fsharp-o...@googlegroups.com
Hip chat covers the important mobile form factor -- important if you want the messaging side to work.

A UX person on the same discussion mentioned that shifting platforms can have the unintended consequence of fragmenting a community.  He cautioned against moving.  I'm pretty happy with just email myself too.

... there was once a good musical instrument store... the fact that it was very difficult to get to increased both its mystery and desirability ;-).

These things are hard to predict.

Dave Thomas

Feb 27, 2015, 12:15:58 PM2/27/15
to fsharp-o...@googlegroups.com
Hmm hipchat is not so good, Im using slack a lot for work now.

Dave Thomas

Feb 27, 2015, 12:18:33 PM2/27/15
to fsharp-o...@googlegroups.com
At the moment I think its currently fragmented, I see different set of people on google groups, jabbr, stackoverflow chat, and irc.  then theres also gitter for discussing repo specific things like monodevelop or other repos on git hub.

\D>

Karl Nilsson

Feb 27, 2015, 12:19:34 PM2/27/15
to fsharp-o...@googlegroups.com
The irc room isn't completely dead and if you use something like irccloud you get a nice mobile experience as well.

All that needs to happen is for some chatty people to join the room!

Karl Nilsson
twitter: @kjnilsson

adrians

Feb 28, 2015, 1:42:22 PM2/28/15
to fsharp-o...@googlegroups.com
Is it just my impression or do some people not know about the web UI for this group? I see all these references to email and the fact is that it doesn't even have to come into play if you don't want it to. Even though there is no specific mobile client, the UI seems mobile friendly on my phone.

Robert Kuzelj

Feb 28, 2015, 3:18:42 PM2/28/15
to fsharp-o...@googlegroups.com
One BIG advantage of google groups:
all your mailing lists in one place, one interface, one login, one password.
I'd like to stay here.

just my 2 cents

Hejoco

Feb 28, 2015, 4:29:34 PM2/28/15
to fsharp-o...@googlegroups.com

Veikko Eeva

Mar 7, 2015, 2:43:29 AM3/7/15
to fsharp-o...@googlegroups.com
I don't follow the emails but the www group, so switching wouldn't be issue in the sense of one more site to follow. I don't like Google Groups that much, so I'd prefer a switch.

What comes to IRC etc., I'm planning to start a larger project (it starts, it has a timeline and goals) in F# and I think it'd be nice to have someone to help with "small questions", which may not be worth the time to write to sites like SO, but would take time to search anyway. Or then questions on why things are like they are etc.

Sayth Renshaw

Mar 10, 2015, 7:07:24 PM3/10/15
to fsharp-o...@googlegroups.com

Steven Taylor

Mar 10, 2015, 7:14:23 PM3/10/15
to fsharp-o...@googlegroups.com
didn't know it existed.

Adam Granicz

Mar 11, 2015, 8:26:28 AM3/11/15
to fsharp-o...@googlegroups.com
Email vs website, a never-ending dilemma - the Microsoft forums are nice, BTW.  I myself use FPish (http://fpish.net/topics) - given that I wrote a good part of it :)  It has its issues, but it emails you responses/comments so going back to the site is only necessary if you want to add something new.  It can also do private groups with full archives.
--
Adam Granicz, IntelliFactory
www.intellifactory.com