Yes, Virginia, You Can Write HoloLens Apps in F#

Paul Blair

Feb 19, 2017, 2:08:30 PM2/19/17
to fsharp-o...@googlegroups.com
I've been following the GitHub thread about there not being UWP support for F# with some disappointment.

As it turns out, however, it's still possible to write HoloLens applications in F# using Unity -- the game engine has a scripting back end called IL2CPP which translates IL into C++ before compiling it to UWP.

More details on my blog, where I show how to set things up:

The post also shows that a simple recursive function is tail-call optimized by IL2CPP, which is apparently one of the blockers for using .NET Native with F#.