F# plugin for Intellij IDEA

Norbert Raus

Mar 11, 2015, 5:43:30 PM3/11/15
to fsharp-o...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

Has anyone thought about working on F# plugin for JetBrains Intellij IDEA (I haven't come accoss anything...)? It is very mature and awesome IDE that is used for many languages (Java, Python, Ruby etc.) . There is also a notable list of various other languages supported via plugins. Developing plugins is well documented along with many existing examples. There is already initiative to provide IDE called Consulo based on the Intellij with C#/.NET support (I haven't come across any plans to support F# there).

Do you think it would make sense to start working on such plugin? If yes would anyone would like to be involved and do you have any recommendations on what is the best way to organize/coordinate that development?

Thanks,
Norbert

Dave Thomas

Mar 17, 2015, 7:04:46 AM3/17/15
to fsharp-o...@googlegroups.com
I can imagine its doable although writing it in java would seem to be an exercise in pain, torture, and suffering :-)

You would have to have some interop between the F# compiler services and the IDE layer, unless you just wanted colourisation etc.

Cheers

adrians

Mar 18, 2015, 5:11:05 PM3/18/15
to fsharp-o...@googlegroups.com
I suppose Clojure or Scala could be used to lessen the pain.

Daniel Ferreira Monteiro Alves

Apr 24, 2015, 10:28:56 PM4/24/15
to fsharp-o...@googlegroups.com
Well I really thought about it and I think that will be cool! And we can write using kotlin which is good enough to handle the pain of using only Java.

I will have to study a little about the idea support to new languages, but I suppose that is more simple and more powerful than writing to VS.

don...@fastmail.fm

Apr 28, 2015, 8:07:13 AM4/28/15
to fsharp-o...@googlegroups.com

I think this would be great – it would be excellent to have F# support in the editing environments popular with JVM programmers.

You may well want to use the fsautocomplete.exe background compilation tool available in the fsharpbinding repository. That’s used by emacs too and is quite mature.You would also be welcome to develop your addin in that repository, or to move there once you have something working.

Cheers!
Don
To post, send email to fsharp-o...@googlegroups.com