FriCAS 1.3.6 is released

Waldek Hebisch

Mar 8, 2020, 9:30:09 AM3/8/20
to fricas...@googlegroups.com

This is copy of the annoucemnt I posted in newsgroups:

FriCAS is an advanced computer algebra system. Its capabilities
range from calculus (integration and differentiation) to abstract
algebra. It can plot functions and has integrated help system.

FriCAS 1.3.6 should build on Linux and many Unix like systems (for
example Mac OSX and Cygwin). FriCAS is build on top of Common Lisp;
several Lisps can compile and run FriCAS -- currently supported are
SBCL, Clisp, ECL, Closure CL (former OpenMCL).

Project page:

http://fricas.sf.net

Download pages:

http://fricas.sf.net/download.html
https://sourceforge.net/projects/fricas/files/

Mailing list. Please sign up before posting a message.

http://groups.google.com/group/fricas-devel?hl=en

Notable changes (compared to version 1.3.5):

- Small improvements to integrator and limits

- Generalized a few domains and packages

- Two new convolutions for quantum probability

- Main FriCAS environment variable is now called FRICAS and main
executable is called FRICASsys

Bug fixes, in particular:

- Better error detection for numeric elementary functions

- Fixed TeX output of formal derivatives

- Fixed input form of formal derivatives
--
Waldek Hebisch

Grégory Vanuxem

Mar 20, 2020, 8:36:52 PM3/20/20
to fricas...@googlegroups.com
Hello Waldek, hello all,

Successfully built FriCAS on Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) on Windows 10.

Just a note, I built FriCAS without X and at startup I have :

/usr/local/bin/fricas
viewman not present, disabling graphics
/bin/sh: 1: exec: /usr/local/lib/fricas/target/x86_64-linux-gnu/bin/hypertex: not found
Checking for foreign routines
FRICAS="/usr/local/lib/fricas/target/x86_64-linux-gnu"
spad-lib="/usr/local/lib/fricas/target/x86_64-linux-gnu/lib/libspad.so"
foreign routines found
openServer result 0

As you can see fricas tries to start hypertex.

Thanks all for your work.

config.log attached
__
Greg

config.log.gz

Raymond Rogers

Mar 21, 2020, 9:29:55 AM3/21/20
to FriCAS - computer algebra system
Had a problem compiling on Mate 1.22.2 , Release 19.10, Kernel 5.3.0.42 : something about multiple threads in SBCL.
The error message is about 24 lines.  Is it better to post inline (for others searching) or as an attachment.
Let me know if you all want more extensive records/logs.
Ray

Grégory Vanuxem

Mar 21, 2020, 9:38:25 AM3/21/20
to fricas...@googlegroups.com
hi,

May I ask id it's when loading libspad.so?
I have a problem to build FriCAS actually with msys2

Cheers
__
Greg

Ralf Hemmecke

Mar 21, 2020, 9:45:15 AM3/21/20
to fricas...@googlegroups.com
That one I guess it is know. I had the same problem before. I guess you
better upgrade your sbcl.

https://www.mail-archive.com/fricas...@googlegroups.com/msg13022.html

Ralf

Raymond Rogers

Mar 21, 2020, 9:56:21 AM3/21/20
to fricas...@googlegroups.com

I can find no sign of that.  I am following Ralf's suggestion to see if that works.

Raymond Rogers

Mar 21, 2020, 9:58:03 AM3/21/20
to fricas...@googlegroups.com

You mean download the SBCL source and edit it according to the link?  Or look for an updated source?

Ray

Raymond Rogers

Mar 21, 2020, 9:58:59 AM3/21/20
to fricas...@googlegroups.com

My SBCL is 2:1.5.5-2unbuntu1

Ralf Hemmecke

Mar 21, 2020, 10:15:05 AM3/21/20
to fricas-devel
I don't remember what version it was. I now have sbcl 1.5.8. I think, I
did not upgrade SBCL (not sure),

It looks like this
https://github.com/sbcl/sbcl/commit/52a9f9bac0dad80d003f289450a8ddd8c37b86b6
is the fix.

If that is correct then sbcl 1.5.7 already contains the fix.

Hope that helps.

Ralf

Ralf Hemmecke

Mar 21, 2020, 10:15:52 AM3/21/20
to fricas...@googlegroups.com
> Successfully built FriCAS on Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) on Windows
> 10.

This is wonderful. Would be nice if you can provide a few lines how you
did this so that we can include it into the INSTALL(.windows) file and
on the website.

> Just a note, I built FriCAS without X and at startup I have :
>
> /usr/local/bin/fricas
> viewman not present, disabling graphics
> /bin/sh: 1: exec:
> /usr/local/lib/fricas/target/x86_64-linux-gnu/bin/hypertex: not found
> Checking for foreign routines
> FRICAS="/usr/local/lib/fricas/target/x86_64-linux-gnu"
> spad-lib="/usr/local/lib/fricas/target/x86_64-linux-gnu/lib/libspad.so"
> foreign routines found
> openServer result 0
>
> As you can see fricas tries to start hypertex.

That's actually bad. The configure script should adapt everything in
such a way that in the end fricas would also start without trying any X
programs.

I guess "fricas -nosman" and "fricas -nox" works perfectly?

Ralf

oldk1331

Mar 21, 2020, 10:59:23 AM3/21/20
to fricas...@googlegroups.com
Guess we'd better blacklist these faulty sbcl versions in configure.ac as well.

Raymond Rogers

Mar 21, 2020, 11:06:27 AM3/21/20
to fricas...@googlegroups.com

Solved!

Okay, I downloaded sbcl-2.0.2-x86-64-linux from http://www.sbcl.org/platform-table.html

 and installed as root.  And that worked (+ 4 5) (simple things for simple people)

make clean

./configure

make

sudo make install

efricas

Seems okay: I ran the hyperdoc graphics example "Plotting Plain Algebraic Curves" and that worked.

---------- Two more things

1) Will the: fricas_jupyter.git  work if installed?

2) How do I bring the dpkg list up to date.  It ignored the above SBCL installation.

Ray

Grégory Vanuxem

Mar 21, 2020, 11:19:00 AM3/21/20
to fricas...@googlegroups.com
Le sam. 21 mars 2020 à 15:15, Ralf Hemmecke <ra...@hemmecke.org> a écrit :
> Successfully built FriCAS on Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) on Windows
> 10.

This is wonderful. Would be nice if you can provide a few lines how you
did this so that we can include it into the INSTALL(.windows) file and
on the website.

Ok, I will, I have time (for some times ;))
(confined)

> Just a note, I built FriCAS without X and at startup I have :
>
> /usr/local/bin/fricas
> viewman not present, disabling graphics
> /bin/sh: 1: exec:
> /usr/local/lib/fricas/target/x86_64-linux-gnu/bin/hypertex: not found
> Checking for foreign routines
> FRICAS="/usr/local/lib/fricas/target/x86_64-linux-gnu"
> spad-lib="/usr/local/lib/fricas/target/x86_64-linux-gnu/lib/libspad.so"
> foreign routines found
> openServer result 0
>
> As you can see fricas tries to start hypertex.

That's actually bad. The configure script should adapt everything in
such a way that in the end fricas would also start without trying any X
programs.

I guess "fricas -nosman" and "fricas -nox" works perfectly?

Ralf

Perfectly! Thanks!

Grégory Vanuxem

Mar 21, 2020, 2:12:07 PM3/21/20
to fricas...@googlegroups.com
Le sam. 21 mars 2020 à 16:06, Raymond Rogers <raymond....@gmail.com> a écrit :

[snipped]

2) How do I bring the dpkg list up to date.  It ignored the above SBCL installation.

Don't do that. My advice. Configuration files are in /var/dpkg or something like that, but they refers to the SBCL package from Ubuntu i.e. installed in /usr. I presume you have installed SBCL 2.0.2 in /usr/local and that's good. With the traditional PATH, executable in /usr/local/bin will be picked up before /usr/bin so you have nothing to do. You can check with a 'env' in a terminal. Modifying dpkg's files can break your installation of SBCL and may be other package and leave your Ubuntu broken. Let the Ubuntu upgrading process as usual and when the SBCL Ubuntu package is convenient to you do a 'make uninstall' in the directory where you downloaded the binaries from sbcl.org i.e. remove the /usr/local SBCL.

My two cents
__
Greg

Cheers,

Greg

Ralf Hemmecke

Mar 21, 2020, 2:19:26 PM3/21/20
to fricas-devel
> 1) Will the: fricas_jupyter.git  work if installed?

Probably not. Actually, I don't know what fricas_jupyter.git you mean.
Kurt Pagani worked quite some time on a Jupyter frontend for FriCAS.
It's currently on me to finish the jfricas.git repo (and actually put
the stuff on pypi.org) so that the installation will be super easy.

Ralf

Raymond Rogers

Mar 21, 2020, 3:52:02 PM3/21/20
to fricas...@googlegroups.com