Call to the artistically gifted - who is willing and able to create a Frege logo?

Ingo W.

Mar 22, 2012, 1:44:28 PM3/22/12
to frege-program...@googlegroups.com
The title tells it all.

I am unfortunately a total loss when it comes to Fine Arts. In school, my art teacher hated me, because I was the living proof that either art can't be teached at all or she had the wrong job.

The current "logo" I have created in the following way: I typed λf in a big font, coloured the letters and used the snipping tool to cut it out and obtain a picture. Just to have something at least, dilettantish as it is.

If you are gifted and have a nice idea please submit it here. You can earn no money, but maybe immortality? who knows?

Bruno Kinoshita

Feb 13, 2013, 8:35:58 AM2/13/13
to frege-program...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

I'm not a very talented illustrator, but I like playing with Inkscape, GIMP, Krita and other tools, as well as hand drawing. Ah, I also like functional programming, and learning and participating in different OSS projects.

So I thought I could give it a try and see if I can help with Frege logo. I found this issue in GitHub [1], where there's an issue for the new logo.

If anybody has any suggestions, keywords, ideas, etc, please feel free to submit it. I'll do my best to create a few logos and will post it here too.

I'm also working on Apache Commons Functor [2], a Java API for functional programming, and I'll try learning Frege and maybe porting ideas from Frege to Apache Commons Functor, as well as contributing back with ideas from Functor (though it hasn't been released yet).

Looking forward to your suggestions!

All the best,
-Bruno

Bruno Kinoshita

Feb 16, 2013, 11:18:51 PM2/16/13
to frege-program...@googlegroups.com
Here are the first sketches. I've numbered in order while drawing. For these I used only pen + pencil + gimp (levels after scanning), but if some of these are selected as potential logos, I'll use Inkscape to create more clean & pro versions.

My favorites are 10, 15 (maybe with some other object) and 14.

I focused in using the F letter, with different objects (especially the lambda symbol). But we can use other images too I think, maybe animals (like Hadoop/Pig/etc) or any other object.

Looking forward to your suggestions :o)

All the best,
-Bruno
frege_001.jpg

Ingo W.

Feb 17, 2013, 4:59:09 AM2/17/13
to frege-program...@googlegroups.com
I am simply overwhelmed!
I have some favorites too (but I won't tell yet to not influence others).

To all: please comment, vote or make suggestions.

Daniel Gronau

Feb 17, 2013, 7:09:54 AM2/17/13
to frege-program...@googlegroups.com
Hi!

I like #6, which is very clean and simple. We just have to make sure that the "f" looks different from Facebook's.

Cheers,
Daniel

Marimuthu Madasamy

Feb 17, 2013, 5:26:13 PM2/17/13
to frege-program...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

This is great! Thank you! I vote for #2.

I focused in using the F letter, with different objects (especially the lambda symbol).
I think that some combination of F, J and λ would be good.

But we can use other images too I think, maybe animals (like Hadoop/Pig/etc) or any other object.
We could also get some inspiration from Haskell, Java and Clojure logos.

Ingo W.

Feb 18, 2013, 12:38:59 PM2/18/13
to frege-program...@googlegroups.com
I also like number #6, for the great idea of 'f' throwing a Lambda shadow. I also second Daniel in that it should not easily be confused with the facebook 'f' - though I don't think one can copyright/register an ordinary f anywhere in the world, it is the overall appearance that counts.
My second favorite wold be #11, because it is an extremely abstract F. :)

Yo Eight

Feb 19, 2013, 12:43:03 PM2/19/13
to frege-program...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Bruno !

My vote goes to #4 and #6

Regards

Bruno P. Kinoshita

Feb 22, 2013, 2:19:30 PM2/22/13
to frege-program...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

Sorry for taking long to reply, I'm moving to a new house but this weekend or so I'll have my computer and tablet working again.

I will vectorize the logos that received votes here and will post them here. I'll try to add different colour and font combinations too.

Thanks for voting, and feel free to add any other comments or suggestions here in the meantime :o)

All the best,

Bruno P. Kinoshita
http://kinoshita.eti.br
http://tupilabs.com

>________________________________

Bruno P. Kinoshita

Mar 9, 2013, 6:51:40 PM3/9/13
to frege-program...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

Today I had some spare time and vectorized the voted logos for Frege. These are preliminary versions, but they are all vectorized, so it is quite easy change colours, dimensions, etc.

My new favourite ones are: 12 and 13. I liked 9/10 and 15 too, but not as much as I liked the other two :o)

I can send separate files too, in case someone would like to try one of these in a web page, wiki, etc.

Looking forward to your comments on this. Thanks in advance!

Cheers

Untitled.png

Ingo W.

Mar 10, 2013, 9:17:53 AM3/10/13
to frege-program...@googlegroups.com, Bruno P. Kinoshita
Indeed, 13 is very cool. Like it very much.