welcome to free the code

John Scott

Mar 23, 2012, 2:33:39 PM3/23/12
to freet...@googlegroups.com

Free the Code Discussion Points

Open Source for America wants to start a national dialog on taxpayer investments in software and information technology, most specifically how to ensure software code be made is available to the wider public. Key concept: To maximize public impact, publicly funded software source code could be released under an free/libre open source software license (FLOSS). When we say publicly-funded, we are referring specifically to custom code written by federal employees or contractors of federal agencies. We are not suggesting any investment in proprietary software code be affected by this new policy, rather maximizing investments in code for which the government holds the IP.