Transition to ICD 10

Mike

Feb 23, 2014, 12:10:45 PM2/23/14
to freemed...@googlegroups.com
I've got a task to add ICD 10 capabilities to the existing FreeMED 0.8.5 system.

Looking for any suggestions and/or link to ICD 10 data file download

Thanks

Jeff

Feb 23, 2014, 12:13:18 PM2/23/14
to FreeMED Support
On Sun, Feb 23, 2014 at 12:10 PM, Mike <mdu...@gmail.com> wrote:
I've got a task to add ICD 10 capabilities to the existing FreeMED 0.8.5 system.

Looking for any suggestions and/or link to ICD 10 data file download

The data files are available from the CDC's website here:

ICD 9/10 was switchably available in the 0.9.x series as well.

--
Thanks,
Jeff

Keith Diederich

Feb 23, 2014, 12:17:21 PM2/23/14
to freemed...@googlegroups.com
Mike,
first, which version?  ICD-10-CM and PCS, which are used only in US?  Or World Health Organization ICD-10?  As far as I know, the US is just about the last to switch, so if you're only after the US version of ICD-10, CMS is your source.  Their ICD-10 resource page is at http://www.cms.gov/Medicare/Coding/ICD10/index.html.

Regards,
Keith Diederich, RHIT

Nitin Hate

Feb 24, 2014, 7:25:23 AM2/24/14
to freemed...@googlegroups.com
Mike,

I am not a very active FreeMed user, because my practice is slightly different. However, I keep abreast with changes. I recently attended a ICD-10 seminar, where I asked if we could take advantage of ICD-10 to make data entry faster and more accurate. The presenter seemed to concur with my idea.

We can have first paragraph of daily notes automatically populated with the description of the ICD-10 (perhaps in different font/color so it is not seen as findings specific to the patient).

We can then write in any details or distinctions on the second paragraph. This will save time. Also we can show all ICD-10 codes used for that patient in on a side as a scrolling strip. This way the physician gets the health history and perhaps medications and laboratory test results of the fly. The detailed description of the code can be seen simply by hovering over the codes.

Our effort should be to make the EMRs more user friendly and time saving. I would appreciate a feed back. Thank you.

Nitin Hate'

Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2014 09:10:45 -0800
From: mdu...@gmail.com
To: freemed...@googlegroups.com