FreeMED and external JSON capabilities

Ed Skees

Aug 22, 2013, 1:09:53 PM8/22/13
to freemed...@googlegroups.com
I'm a working software engineer supporting a medical/research effort.  In my role we're looking at automating the current practice and need to create several portals allowing users to interact via iPad.  So, I've been trying to look at FreeMED to see if you have an external API that would allow me to hook the database to my Patient Coordinator portal?  My preferred language for this effort would be Java but I figure if you have a web service interface then that would be of no consequence.

Thank you
Ed Skees

Jeff

Aug 22, 2013, 1:23:37 PM8/22/13
to FreeMED Support
Yes, the entire API is exposed via the JSON relay in the 0.9.x series, so that virtually any function accessible by the classloader (except for those starting with '_', to give an easy way to differentiate between internal and external methods, and those in the 'core' namespace) can be called via the JSON relay endpoint.

I had forgotten to push up the example language bindings, but I just made them available on github: https://github.com/freemed/libfreemed

Let us know if you have any questions!

--
Thanks,
Jeff

ed.skees

Aug 23, 2013, 3:13:18 PM8/23/13
to freemed...@googlegroups.com
Jeff,

Thank you very much.  Now armed with the bindings I'll do some testing.

Ed

Jeff

Aug 23, 2013, 4:10:29 PM8/23/13
to FreeMED Support
On Fri, Aug 23, 2013 at 3:13 PM, ed.skees <ed.s...@perthera.com> wrote:
Jeff,

Thank you very much.  Now armed with the bindings I'll do some testing.

Also, please feel free to fork any of the https://github.com/freemed repositories and use "pull requests" to request inclusions of changes and patches.

Edward Skees

Aug 23, 2013, 4:14:33 PM8/23/13
to freemed...@googlegroups.com
Sure thing.  BTW the iso file that I downloaded failed to configure correctly on my Ubuntu 12.04 LTS VMware Fusion image.  (Basically the browser opened and that was that.)  Then, when I attempted to follow the link offered another fellow for the VB image it failed.  I'm slowly going through attempting to load FreeMED via the instructions which seems to be going okay but I'm chasing small configuration errors.  Do you have another link to the VirtualBox image by chance?

Thanks
Ed

ed.skees

Aug 24, 2013, 3:44:15 AM8/24/13
to freemed...@googlegroups.com
Jeff,

I'm installing the package on Ubuntu 12.05 LTS and the Debian 6 package install checklist effort was running fine until I hit the Build translations for FreeMED 0.9.x+: step.  The (cd /usr/share/freemed/locale; sudo make) step doesn't go very well and remits a hiccup on the for i in ??_??; do .... statement.  have you had issues raised with this?

Thanks
Ed

Jeff

Aug 25, 2013, 10:09:10 AM8/25/13
to FreeMED Support
On Sat, Aug 24, 2013 at 3:44 AM, ed.skees <ed.s...@perthera.com> wrote:
Jeff,

I'm installing the package on Ubuntu 12.05 LTS and the Debian 6 package install checklist effort was running fine until I hit the Build translations for FreeMED 0.9.x+: step.  The (cd /usr/share/freemed/locale; sudo make) step doesn't go very well and remits a hiccup on the for i in ??_??; do .... statement.  have you had issues raised with this?

Are you using dash or bash as your shell? I know that dash chokes on a lot of bash pieces ; if it's not that, please paste in the errors you're getting, or open a github issue (preferred) and do the same, so I can track it.

Edward Skees

Aug 25, 2013, 10:38:07 AM8/25/13
to freemed...@googlegroups.com
Jeff,

Thank you for the response.  I'm using bash and the problem is that the language directories are empty (e.g., en_US) therefore the for loop passes through.  I did a git status and found server non-tracked files but not for en_US.  What I'd like for now is a current unreleased build of 0.9.x so that I can test the Java binding.  I can provide guarantee that I will not distribute it or otherwise taint the OpenSource process.  If that's not within policy can you give me a rough estimate as to when the 0.9.0 will release (at least a beta)?

Thank you again for your help and considerations.  I am in a hurry since I have managers pushing for answers.

Ed

Jeff

Aug 25, 2013, 12:20:43 PM8/25/13
to FreeMED Support
On Sun, Aug 25, 2013 at 10:38 AM, Edward Skees <ed.s...@perthera.com> wrote:
Jeff,

Thank you for the response.  I'm using bash and the problem is that the language directories are empty (e.g., en_US) therefore the for loop passes through.  I did a git status and found server non-tracked files but not for en_US.

That's because, at least at present, we write everything using the en_US locale, so it should not be building gettext dictionaries for it (since no translation is required). It sounds like something is "off" in that part of the build process. Could you throw me a link to a pastebin or gist paste of the build messages you're seeing, so I can try to troubleshoot? ( Even better is opening issue tickets here: https://github.com/freemed/freemed/issues/new )

 What I'd like for now is a current unreleased build of 0.9.x so that I can test the Java binding.  I can provide guarantee that I will not distribute it or otherwise taint the OpenSource process.  If that's not within policy can you give me a rough estimate as to when the 0.9.0 will release (at least a beta)?

Volker (Dr Bradley) has run a live 0.9.x instance against which you can test, if you don't have the time to set it up. It has been set up according to the published Debian install instructions, as far as I know. If it's not running at the moment, I'm sure he could bring it back up for you.

Thank you again for your help and considerations.  I am in a hurry since I have managers pushing for answers.

Been there before. I don't particularly have a "special" copy of FreeMED, although it's always possible that I have neglected to check in something inadvertently. I'll give you all the help I can getting an instance up and running to test against. It has a lot of dependencies, which can sometimes make setup a little difficult. I really should rebuild a VirtualBox image to test against, which had originally been hosted on www.freemed.info, though I'd have to check with Volker to see if he still has the image online.

Edward Skees

Aug 25, 2013, 12:25:18 PM8/25/13
to freemed...@googlegroups.com
Jeff,

I'm off to do family things now but I'll post a trouble ticket later tonight.

Thank you again.
Ed

Edward Skees

Aug 25, 2013, 4:07:14 PM8/25/13
to freemed...@googlegroups.com
Jeff,

Bummer it was all my fault.  I had been trying to install on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS.  But, after chasing down (via log) the error messages they were centered on "you have made a request that this version of mysql doesn't support".

Looking back at my notes I realized that the apt-get system did not find either mysql-{server,client}-5.1 or gs -- so I had loaded ghostscript and version 5.5.

Armed with this knowledge I dropped back to Ubuntu 11.10 and checked that it did find both of these packages.  Therefore, I started over and the checklist ran almost perfectly building both the freemed and freemed-client.jar packages.  And, I was impressed when I ran the FreeMED UI.

I said "almost perfectly" above not to indicate issues but to note that the "( cd /usr/share/freemed/locale; sudo make ) call couldn't do it's job because the translation packages are not yet available but the English default works perfectly for me.

I stopped on the checklist at "Installing the mmcache" element just because I've established this build on an image with only myself capable of interacting with it.  So I haven't validated the rest of the checklist yet.  But, I can say that up to that point the checklist works fine for Ubuntu 11.10 as well as Debian 6.

Now this coming week I'll be testing the code for REST and web services.  And, I'll get back to you with my results.  And, I will most likely provide my test code back to you as an example.

Thanks to you and Volker,

Ed Skees

Edward Skees

Aug 26, 2013, 11:24:24 PM8/26/13
to freemed...@googlegroups.com
Jeff I haven't been able to get back to the website but I'd like to ask if anyone has deployed FreeMed on a tomcat server or on a Amazon Cloud?

Thanks
Ed

Volker Bradley

Aug 27, 2013, 1:34:51 AM8/27/13
to FreeMED Support

Unfortunately I am not at home and cannot turn on the freemed.info server.
Volker

Edward Skees

Aug 27, 2013, 6:13:19 AM8/27/13
to freemed...@googlegroups.com
Good morning,

I think I'll have the 0.9.x version running on the Amazon cloud today.  I had to try several images before finding the right one since AWS images are locked down pretty tightly and some wouldn't allow all of the dependencies to be downloaded.

I also noted the web site out of reach and figured you all were working on it.

Have a great day.

Ed

Volker Bradley

Aug 27, 2013, 6:59:36 AM8/27/13
to FreeMED Support

Yes, the freemed.info web site is down because of a power outage. Can't restart it until I get home in early September.

volkerbradley

Aug 27, 2013, 10:13:02 AM8/27/13
to freemed...@googlegroups.com
Had someone restart the server.  www.freemed.info is reachable now.
Volker
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to freemed-support+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

Edward Skees

Aug 27, 2013, 10:14:16 AM8/27/13
to freemed...@googlegroups.com
Volker you're the man of the hour.  Thanks.  Ed