Turning an old computer into a router.

1 view

Tom Heuser

Jun 7, 2014, 3:35:09 PM6/7/14
to freegeek...@googlegroups.com
I know this isn't really free geek related, but I'm wondering if anyone out there would be willing to help me turn the machine I adopted from Free Geek into a router for some amount of bitcoin as payment.  I've taken the issue to multiple online forums and have looked at various instructions online and every attempt has failed and honestly it's taking up too much of my time.  Let me know if you are interested.  Thanks.

Cura ut valeas!
-Tom Heuser

"Felix qui potuit rerum cognoscere causas" - Virgil

J.T. Blaylock

Jun 8, 2014, 1:42:31 PM6/8/14
to freegeek...@googlegroups.com

Are you looking to make a Nat router with two wired interfaces? That's basically what I have except I have wireless too. I can share my iptables and network configuration for free. Those are really the only components of the setup. I use Debian but I'd think iptables would be the same and interface configuration could be easily translated into the appropriate syntax for your distribution. I can only verify that my setup works, I really need to do some research on security.

J.T.

J.T. Blaylock

Jun 8, 2014, 1:44:26 PM6/8/14
to freegeek...@googlegroups.com

Oh and I have dhcp with dnsmasq but that's pretty easy.

On Jun 7, 2014 12:35 PM, "Tom Heuser" <themar...@gmail.com> wrote:

Tom Heuser

Jun 8, 2014, 2:06:54 PM6/8/14
to freegeek...@googlegroups.com
I'm not sure entirely what should be involved on a more technical level, but I have this visual I made (see attached) to show people what I'm after.  I want this old computer to send my comcast internet to all the machines connected to it and to provide a connection to the meshnet / hyperboria as well.

Cura ut valeas!
-Tom Heuser

"Felix qui potuit rerum cognoscere causas" - Virgil

Proposed Network Setup-1.jpg